Shooting Family Portraits - July 2014

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Here are some unedited Portrait Shots from this past weekend. I will edit them later and post the best ones:

DSC_0240.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

ShootRaw

Sonic..kinda confused why you would post all of these with out editing..Another observation is your composition, cropping off limbs, subjects not looking at you, and trees coming out of heads are photo killers..Not bashing you but just trying to help...

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Sonic..kinda confused why you would post all of these with out editing..Another observation is your composition, cropping off limbs, subjects not looking at you, and trees coming out of heads are photo killers..Not bashing you but just trying to help...

Well....I wasn't the only photographer...bil's gf was the one who was conducting the shoot....so the subjects were looking at her most of the time. The other photographer must have liked having me there because she kept telling everyone getting their picture taken to look at me. So, the part about not having the subject look directly at my camera is a preference thing. I think a mixture of shots with them looking at me, and then her, are good. Let the subjects pick out which photos they want. As far as trees coming out of heads, you are right....problem was we were trying to stay out of each others way. She was using a 105 mm macro lens and I was using my trusty old beat up 24-70 f/2.8. I haven't cropped anything like limbs. I kind of got leftovers as far as the shoot went. First time shooting a group. If I had my choice, there are a lot of things I would have done differently....one thing that I'm curious as to why you didn't mention is using fill flash. I left mine at home since I didn't think I'd be shooting practically in the dark. Thanks for the CC though....definitely things to keep in mind for the future.....and I'll edit them next time.

Last edited:

Rick M

I think you did pretty good for not having fill flash. As far as the background, I like the ones with the least DoF, making the subjects pop. Fill flash would have made them stand out so much that the background would be less significant.