coolpix 5600 question, lag time between pics

spacequakes

New to this forum & hoping for anyone's input ... I have always enjoyed taking pics through the years with different point & shoot cameras using regular film. This is my first digital camera, which I have had for a few years, but have never gotten comfortable with. When taking a pic, the flash goes off, as it should. Then the view-screen goes dark for about 5 seconds & the little red light beside viewfinder flashes on & off, then the view-screen lights back up for the next shot. There is such a lag time & wondered why. Is there a reason for this lag & is there anything I can do so this does not happen? Are there more powerful batteries out there that would help?? Many good shots are missed because of this. Thank you, in advance, for any suggestions you would like to offer.

WayneF

New to this forum & hoping for anyone's input ... I have always enjoyed taking pics through the years with different point & shoot cameras using regular film. This is my first digital camera, which I have had for a few years, but have never gotten comfortable with. When taking a pic, the flash goes off, as it should. Then the view-screen goes dark for about 5 seconds & the little red light beside viewfinder flashes on & off, then the view-screen lights back up for the next shot. There is such a lag time & wondered why. Is there a reason for this lag & is there anything I can do so this does not happen? Are there more powerful batteries out there that would help?? Many good shots are missed because of this. Thank you, in advance, for any suggestions you would like to offer.

I fear it is just how it is.

Indirect reasoning:

The DSLR models do the same thing if in Live View mode, which is when the rear LCD shows the scene view that the sensor is seeing. Then at the exposure, things get real busy. The sensor and computer chip has to stop what it was doing (being a viewfinder) while the recorded image is downloaded from the sensor, and converted to JPG, and written to the memory card. The LED is the access light for the card.

On a DSLR, Live View mode works the same way. However, on them, you can use the eye level viewfinder instead. With most shutter speeds, it goes dark for only a briefest instant during the actual shutter activation. Also the continuous shutter mode works then too (for example, could be shooting five pictures per second, continuously, as long as you hold the shutter). But Continuous mode does not work in Live View mode, when using the sensor as a viewfinder. It interferes with the other things the sensor has to do, and everything stops for those few seconds, same as you see.

The compact only has that one mode.

Last edited: