Camera's without the OLPF

FastGlass

So it seems most of the newer bodies coming out are doing away with the OLPF. Seems it makes the image sharper, which I do understand what the OLPF is and does. But the images coming from the older models having the filter seem pretty dang sharp if you took all the measures to try and do so ( tripod, delay, fast shutter speed etc...) So can one really see a difference between having or not having a camera with the filter?

Horoscope Fish

So it seems most of the newer bodies coming out are doing away with the OLPF. Seems it makes the image sharper, which I do understand what the OLPF is and does. But the images coming from the older models having the filter seem pretty dang sharp if you took all the measures to try and do so ( tripod, delay, fast shutter speed etc...) So can one really see a difference between having or not having a camera with the filter?
Absolutely. I'm sorry to have to drag Canon into this, but...

Some brave Canon 5D MKIII users have been doing OLPF removal surgery for this very good reason: The increase in image sharpness is significant. You can Google their before and after results to see what the exact same camera did both with, and without, an installed OLPF.

"The video image quality now, is not the same 5D Mark III that came out weeks ago. It's as if the camera was transformed. "The mushiness is gone" It never made sense that 4 years later, all new chips , Digic 5, and the image was soft on the 5D Mark III. Well, we know why now."

Source: Canon 5D MKIII OLPF Removal

Last edited:

RON_RIP

This may be. But i am still wondering what the trade-off is. The OLPF was there for a reason. Are we now saying that the new sensors are so sophisticated that they do away with the need for the OLFP or are we saying that a person may now have to use a another post processing tool to take their place? That is the question that keeps me clinging to the older technology.

Eyelight

The problem is produced by patterns in a subject mixing funny with the pattern of the sensor light sucking devices. There are subjects that are more prone to creating moire and false colors and that doesn't change, but apparently the newer sensor/software combos can handle it better.

My understanding (might be wrong) is that larger format cameras do not have OLPFs, but they are mostly used where the lighting and subject are completely controlled and the photographer can avoid the patterns in subjects and lighting that are prone to produce problems.

So, theoretically you could remove the OLPF from any camera and images that would not have been affected by moire/false colors would be sharper. But, the question for the older camera with OLPF removed would be, what about the subject that produces moire/false colors????

And yes, even a new camera may need a little more post if the subject/lighting mixes funny with the sensor light sucking devices (at least Nikon seems to think this way).

BackdoorArts

Larger pixel sizes are more prone to experiencing the drawbacks the OLPF is meant to prevent, moire in particular. These do not present themselves everywhere, but they definitely present themselves. It seems that 16MP's in a DX crop and larger (ie. higher pixel density, smaller pixel size) is about where Nikon draws the line on what can live without the OLPF. I suspect there's something within the engine that also works to reduce the effects of moire when it's missing.

Can you see the effect? It's the first thing I noticed when I shot with the D7100 after 2 years with a D800 (non-e) and D600. It had me investigating removing it from my D600, though I never got serious about it when it dawned on me how much of a PITA moire could be come.

FastGlass

So obviously the removal of the OLPF does have it's benefits. But would any of you run out and purchase a camera without the filter knowing you can add sharpness post. All the images I send off to people and the one's I choose to print goes through all the adjustments lightroom has to offer if needed. Sharpening, contrast are the two I feel all the images need a little of. Not sure if the OLPF being there or not would be on my list of options I'd be looking for when looking for another camera body. Of course by the time I need another camera body most of them would have the filter removed anyways.

RON_RIP

Well here is the rub. Many of us do not use post processing programs meant to deal with the issues that OLPF filters address. So, for me, I will stick with my D7000. Now when the time comes that I need or wish to upgrade my camera body I will just have to upgrade my post processing program as well, if necessary to deal with any problems. I do remember that my D 50 and D60 did from time to time evidence problems with this issue and am happy to note that my D7000 does not seem to suffer any of these problems.