Fuji x100s

Browncoat

In case you missed it, I've been talking about the Fuji x100s in a couple different threads. Just brought one home today. Pics to follow soon.

I also picked up:
  • 2nd Fuji battery
  • Think Tank Retrospective 5 bag
  • x2 Sandisk Extreme 32GB SDHC cards
  • Neck strap

Would've liked to have gotten the 50mm lens conversion also, but they didn't have it in silver. :(

Last edited:

Bill16

Wow buddy! So you might really end up jumping ship? That must be an awesome camera for sure then! Insert shocked smilie here!

Browncoat

In true Rockwellian fashion, I'll upload a pic of my kid playing in the mud:

CJ-1.jpg

SOOC
Shot wide open @ f/2.8
Dunno why the file compression looks so horrible. Click the image for a better view.

This was literally opening the box, putting in a battery + SD card and taking a photo.

Last edited:

Scott Murray

Nice work mate and I think you will enjoy that camera immensely, my first digital camera was a fuji and I loved it but it had its limitations back then. Who knows with the way tech is moving we all may move away from Nikon as with all tech there is more to it than just a brand name :)

Bill16

Yep COST! Lol :p

Nice work mate and I think you will enjoy that camera immensely, my first digital camera was a fuji and I loved it but it had its limitations back then. Who knows with the way tech is moving we all may move away from Nikon as with all tech there is more to it than just a brand name :)

Browncoat

Some have labeled this camera as the "DSLR Killer". Dunno that I'd go that far, but it gets rave reviews, and I have to agree with them. It's a phenomenal little camera. I can't wait to put it through the paces with high shutter speeds + flash (it has a leaf shutter).

There are some big name photographers who are singing the praises of the Fuji mirrorless system. The X-Pro w/ interchangeable lenses is very impressive also, and very affordable. I'm not sure I want to go to that extreme...yet. I shot with the X-Pro a little bit today @ the camera store, and while there's room for improvement, there's a good base to build a solid system on.

Browncoat

Today was the longest I've shot with the X100S and made an attempt to get some real photos. A short assessment:

It's a joy to shoot with. It weighs practically nothing, and hung around my neck for 2 hours with no discomfort via the included strap (which is leather).

The controls are intuitive and easy to manipulate while keeping an eye in the viewfinder. Speaking of which, the hybrid viewfinder is awesome!

I've read that the old X100 had very sluggish AF. Fuji has clearly addressed that with the X100S, because AF was very snappy and accurate.​

Definitely a conversation starter! We were in a public part and a few different 'togs came through our area and came over to see what it was. They were sweating like pigs with their DSLRs and packs full of gear. I'm cool as a clam with this little camera.

Bill16

Congrats buddy! It sound like this camera is Turing your head a bit my friend! Lol ;)
It's awesome to really love a new camera, and it really sucks when you buy one you end up not liking. So it sure sounds like you made out great! Way to go! :D

Browncoat

Got the 50mm teleconverter today...

It will be nice to be able to put some distance between myself and the subjects, but I don't like how this thing completely changes the low key profile of the camera. There's an adapter ring on the built-in lens that has to be removed, and it's very thin. It was a bitch getting it off.

The converter lens comes with some nice packaging, a lens bag, and front/back caps. The front cap is a standard pinch type, as opposed to the stock Leica press on for the built-in lens...which is nice.

teleconverter1.jpg

Last edited:

Browncoat

I love the styling. I wanted the silver instead of black because it has more of a retro look. But, it has it's drawbacks also. There must have been 15-20 people who came up to me yesterday and asked about it. The most common question: "Are you shooting for the newspaper?" Granted, a few of those people knew me and knew that I shot for the newspaper before. Many of them were just folks who associated a camera like this with photojournalists.

Dunno if I'll get a chance to get out today or not, the weather here is crappy.

Bill16

OK I gotta ask! Lol did you sell off your D800 buddy? Or did you stash it away for awhile, while you cheat with your new love the Fuji x 100s? ;)