Focal Point

Vixen

OK...I seem to have inadvertently changed some setting that controls the focal point.

In autofocus, if I hold the button half way down, the focal point jumps all about. It has never done this before. So what might I have changed do you think?
It's just that I find it a bit disconcerting.

Eyelight

By jumps all around, do you mean it focuses on one spot(s) for one pic and another spot(s) for another pic? or do you mean when you hold the button half way the point changes erratically while taking one shot?

How does it normally behave? Do you use multiple points or maybe just the center point?

Felisek

If I remember correctly (don't have camera with me right now), this happens when you select AF area as 3D tracking. The autofocus system will try to track all the moving objects in the frame. Press the AF button and turn the sub-command dial (the one at the front) to change it.

Vixen

If I remember correctly (don't have camera with me right now), this happens when you select AF area as 3D tracking. The autofocus system will try to track all the moving objects in the frame. Press the AF button and turn the sub-command dial (the one at the front) to change it.

Aha!! Just looked and it is on 3D tracking, so maybe that is it. Thanks Felisek :D I've just tried it and it didn't do it this time. Might go out tomorrow and turn that 3D on and off and just check that that is what does it for sure. I'll know for sure then so if I do it again I'll know what I've done :D

Felisek

It is a very complex camera with dozens of settings. I don't think anyone, apart from most hard-core professionals using it for hours every day, can remember, or even understand, all of them. I downloaded a PDF with the D7100 manual on my phone, so I can keep it with me all the time. If I forget how to use something while taking pictures in the countryside, I can quickly find it there!

pedroj

It is a very complex camera with dozens of settings. I don't think anyone, apart from most hard-core professionals using it for hours every day, can remember, or even understand, all of them. I downloaded a PDF with the D7100 manual on my phone, so I can keep it with me all the time. If I forget how to use something while taking pictures in the countryside, I can quickly find it there!

AAAHHH the manual....What a great tool it is and is mostly in my camera bag...

mikew_RIP

Dont forget the navigation button on the back,if you want the focus point to stay in one place move the leaver to L otherwise catching the button can move it.

Philnz

AAAHHH the manual....What a great tool it is and is mostly in my camera bag...
So right. Read it when you first get the camera, with camera on your lap (yes I know the wife will not like you having the new love of your life sitting there) But you need to read and have a play at the same time. Then repeat a few weeks latter. By then your wife will hopefully start to understand.:cool:

Last edited:

PaulPosition

Ah, the manual!

I dunno if it's the same with the d7100 as it is with my d5200, but the user manual that came in the box has only about half the interesting information as the *reference* manual that I downloaded from the nikon website. Just sayin'. :)

BackdoorArts

Both 3D and AUTO settings in AF-C will cause this. I'm assuming the same is true in AF-A. AF-S and Auto should simply grab and hold a point. AF-C will hold a point between jumps, but for how long depends on how you have the Focus Tracking set in the a3 menu.