D3300 vs d5200 Autofocus Points

Pictaker

I am also debating whether to go for the d3300 or the d5200. The big hold up for me is over the auto focus points. While the d3300 has 11, the d5200 has 39. This seems like a big difference, but is it actually?? I will be photographing my very active children. Will more AF points help with this, not be any more noticeable then 11, or be a hinderance? Thanks for the help!

aroy

I normally use on the central point. At times the extreme corner ones. For static shots that is enough. For sports and tracking you benefit from more points, as there is more area covered. That said the number of focus points used depends on your style.

I find that D3300 has all that I require, while the D5xxx series has more controls and options, for bare bone photography D3xxx suffices. If I have to get the D5xxx series I would save up and go for the D5300, rather than the D5200. You get a lot more advanced basic features which matter - higher MP, no low pass filter, faster processor which results in faster video and faster burst rate.