Sporing Time in Atlanta

Joseph Bautsch

I took this shot sometime after noon today. It was shot from the Eastside of Piedmont Park in Atlanta looking west across the park lake. Unfortunately the wind was blowing and I was unable to get good reflections of the skyline. I'll keep checking the weather reports over the next couple of days and if I can get one day with no wind I'll go back and see if I can get good reflections on the lake. This is also a good spot for a night exposure. Which I will work on in the next couple of weeks. The EXIF data: D90, 18-105mm VRII On, ISO 400, Focal length 35mm, f/22, Shutter Speed 1/40, CPL Filter, White Balance Full Sun, Aperture Priority, Adobe RGB Color Space, Aperture Post Processing.

_DSC0370.jpg

Last edited:

JoeLewisPhotography

Nice shot. Looks like a great location. My only critique, is that I find the tree branches in the foreground a bit distracting, especially the one on the right which is devouring the buildings. just my $0.02​

Browncoat

I think you've got a great spot picked out, Mr. Bautsch. But I agree with Joe!

Getting inside your head a bit, I believe you were wanting to show additional depth here by including some foreground branches, which happen to have some spots of cool color and texture as well. But in my mind's eye, I think this composition would be more interesting without the branches. The treeline has an interesting shape and shows some good perspective.

Definitely a good spot to revisit though. Hope for still waters, blue skies, and puffy clouds!

ohkphoto

Snow White
I agree with Joe and Anthony. My first impulse when I look at this pic is to get shears and prune the branches LOL . . . must have gardening on my mind. There's a lot of potential here, Joseph. You've got a good spot. Would love to see a night shot of this. Also, what would it look like a little wider, say 24mm?

Joseph Bautsch

I agree this is a good location. I will be going back several more times, once in daylight when there is no wind and I can get the reflections of the buildings off the lake that I was looking for. My mistake was not checking the weather report for wind velocity before making the trip. I'm also planning a night shot for the same building reflections. These buildings light up like Christmas trees at night. Other possibilities include twilight and sun set shots. This time of the year the sun goes down right behind these buildings from this view point. I also looked at a wider angle shot and it didn't work at all. The buildings got lost in the trees and lake. I'll keep working on it until I get what I want.

jengajoh

I was thinking the same as Helene, I think being a little wider might be nice. I like the idea you have there with the flower blossoms in the shot, but the branches are a little long. (You have green on your trees there!) This picture makes me want to be there. :)