Top part of image has a faded white line

AdRock

Good evening everyone,

I'm having a problem with my D5000. On the top (or if you rotate the camera to the left the left site) every image I take has a faded out white line going across. I've tried cleaning the lenses, using different lenses and cleaning the image sensors inside the camera. However the faded line is still there. As you can see in the image here the faded white line is shown on the large party tent. The fading is on every image and I'm not sure on how to fix this. Is the image sensor bad or is there something else I can do? I am a hobbyist/novice at this so if there is any information I'm missing please let me know.

Thank you.
DSC_0002.jpg

Blacktop

Did you try a different memory card? Sometimes cards can go bad. Also try reformatting your card in the camera, not on your computer.

AdRock

Same thing. The faded line i still there. I tried 3 different sized SD cards and reformatted each one with the camera.

rocketman122

Good evening everyone,

I'm having a problem with my D5000. On the top (or if you rotate the camera to the left the left site) every image I take has a faded out white line going across. I've tried cleaning the lenses, using different lenses and cleaning the image sensors inside the camera. However the faded line is still there. As you can see in the image here the faded white line is shown on the large party tent. The fading is on every image and I'm not sure on how to fix this. Is the image sensor bad or is there something else I can do? I am a hobbyist/novice at this so if there is any information I'm missing please let me know.

Thank you.
View attachment 101179

not a good example. maybe you can shoot a solid wall. preferably white so we can see the exposure inconsistency.

aroy

It is very difficult to figure out what line you are referring to. As suggested do any or all
. Take a shot of dark wall
. Take a shot of blank sky
. Take a shot of a dark sheet

Then when you post the "faded white line" may be easily discernible.

AdRock

When I go home for lunch I'll upload some better pictures that will show what i'm referring to.

If the shutter is giving up the ghost is there a way to fix that or do I need to replace my camera?

aroy

If you suspect the shutter, then try a long exposure. Night sky on a tripod will be the best. If there is a leak in the shutter then it will not show on a long exposure. A day light sky at a faster than synch speed will show the line if the shutter is leaking.

AdRock

Here are a few pictures that should hopefully better show what i'm trying to describe. The first new are of my nephew and you can see the faded line up top. That was taken with my 55-200mm lense. The 2nd two are taken with my 35mm lense.

However i did notice if I get REALLY up close to any light or dark colors that faded line went away.

Also someone mentioned ghosting earlier. I also have some pictures from sunday that showed a "ghost" or light 2nd image of people that were the main focus of the picture (but they were moving).

Attachments

• DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 124

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think you should find a Nikon repair center and send them pictures. They could probably know the cause just by seing the pictures. This forum is just a "user" forum so as far as I know, none of us are Nikon repair persons.

I'd suspect something with the shutter, so get an estimate and then decide if you want to have it repaired of buy a new one, depending on the difference of $.

Good luck.

Eyelight

Looks like the shutter is dragging. If it is, then a flash exposure using a slow shutter speed would likely look okay and faster shutter speeds would look worse, maybe????

As Marcel suggest, contacting a repair shop is probably in the near future.

STM

It could be the shutter. If the second shutter curtain is sticking a little near the end of its travel it could expose that area a little bit more. Does the area change with shutter speed? I had this happen on one of my F2's a couple of years ago. Fortunately the shutter just needed some cleaning and adjustment, not a replacement shutter.

It will probably have to go to the camera doc.

Felisek

Go to Nikon web site for your country, select "Service & Support" and then "email us". Describe your problem and upload pictures illustrating it. They prefer to have original files straight from the camera: either NEF or JPG. Someone from Nikon will contact you soon. They can be very helpful, they will also tell you where to send your camera for repairs, if necessary.