d5100 to d5300

§am

Given the price is almost the same, I would say go for the D7000 over the D5300 anyday :)

D5100 to D7100 is a bigger price jump IMO, though if you can afford it go for it :)
(Hoping to do the same in new year now)

RON_RIP

The D7000 does not quite match the D5300

Nikon D5300 vs D7000 - Our Analysis
I read this over carefully and I am not convinced nor would I be willing to switch. Those advantages of the D7000 listed in the article are just the ones that I need, the better viewfinder and weather sealing and pentaprism. Of course it is a matter of personal preference but I will stick with the D7000. That being said I'm sure that either camera will serve. They are both Nikon's.

aroy

With D7100 you may be able to save money by getting the "D" type lenses. Most D lenses are built better than the modern G lenses. In many cases the older lenses are also better optically. Another set of lenses which do not meter with 5xxx and 3xxx series, but do with 7xxx are the older AIS lenses.

So on the whole if you are going to invest in more than one lense and do not mind manual focus, the the D7xxx series are a better buy. Of course D610 is even better, but that means your DX specific lenses are of no use.

§am

The analysis/comparison doesn't really cover essentials like the ability to use AF or D lenses. The D5300 whilst still able to use these lenses, would have to be done in manual mode.
Add things like dual memory slots - key to some people and or photography needs, commander mode for flash, user settings (pre-sets), and a few other things, and suddenly the 24MP of the D5300 is not really a key selling point anymore.
Do you really need the 24MP capability or would the 16MP of the D7000 suffice for your needs

It's always back down to personal preference/perception in the end. You have to chose a camera for what you think it's features bring to you as an advantage over the other choices.

Horoscope Fish

I shoot with a D7100 and my girlfriend shoots with a D5300. If I couldn't shoot with my D7100, I could be very happy with a D5300. The image quality of the D5300 is astounding and while there are a few missing bells and whistles my D7100 has, the D5300 has a couple features I wish the D7100 had like the articulating LCD and the built-in geotagging function.