Photography is not a crime (Federal version)

Browncoat

Story links:

I'll keep my political opinions out of this, but it should suffice to say that the surveillance of citizens is reaching McCarthy-era levels. It will be interesting to see how this lawsuit develops.

The SAR (Suspicious Activity Report) list is very real. I was threatened with it several years ago while trying to photograph a CSX railroad yard. Trains and railroad structures are what initially sparked my interest in photography, but ever since that encounter, I've been much more selective and careful near "sensitive" areas that include any kind of infrastructure or possible military target.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Yeah, this has become quite an issue. Don't dare take a picture of a bank building, either, because that might mean you are planning on robbing the bank in the future. Paranoia is nothing new. Just ask a Japanese American who lived in the USA in the '40s.

Browncoat

I've often wanted to gather up the nerve to walk into the People's Federal Savings & Loan where I live. This is a very dull area, so when there's a historical building like this, it's a big deal. The building was designed by Louis Sullivan, mentor of Frank Lloyd Wright, and is a national landmark. The outside is cool, but the inside is very nice also. The vault area is wide open to the public...hard to describe in words. It would make for some very nice photographs.

Maybe I'll go down there this week and ask about it. Always wanted to photograph that place.

EDIT - Here's a partial photo of the inside:

The Peoples' Federal Savings and Loan by Captain Tenneal, on Flickr

Last edited:

Blacktop

I've often wanted to gather up the nerve to walk into the People's Federal Savings & Loan where I live. This is a very dull area, so when there's a historical building like this, it's a big deal. The building was designed by Louis Sullivan, mentor of Frank Lloyd Wright, and is a national landmark. The outside is cool, but the inside is very nice also. The vault area is wide open to the public...hard to describe in words. It would make for some very nice photographs.

Maybe I'll go down there this week and ask about it. Always wanted to photograph that place.

EDIT - Here's a partial photo of the inside:

The Peoples' Federal Savings and Loan by Captain Tenneal, on Flickr

If you see a hundred dollar bill laying in the corner, that's mine. I lost it last week, so I would like to have it back please. I can describe it if you like.
Also if you see a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 lens, is also mine.