Is the 18-35mm D not as good as the 18-35mm G?

adamandbean

That is what I have read but I compared the two in a store the other day and the fell is similar. I cannot speak for the optics though. I am interested in the D because of the used price-pretty cheap; however, the G is cheap too though even new at $750.
Has anyone used both?

Thank you,

Adam

Rick M

The older version is not rated well optically. I have the G version and it is excellent. "Feel" has little to do with anything optically, there are heavy lenses with crappy optics.

Jules

untitled-.jpguntitled--2.jpguntitled--3.jpguntitled--4.jpg
I Have the G which is way superior to the D, I used to own, it is on a par with the 16-35G in it's focal range plus smaller lighter and cheaper. I'm assuming you are considering a move to FX? If SO Skip the D if you can, If your staying DX, then there are better lenses out there than what would become a 24-52.5 on your D7000, despite the "Hollow" feel to the Lens off the body, on camera it's beautifully balanced, plus you don't get a gold ring to attract attention and cause lens flare! :devilish: (Tongue firmly in cheek there!)

Last edited:

Jules

View attachment 101598View attachment 101599View attachment 101600View attachment 101601
I Have the G which is way superior to the D, I used to own, it is on a par with the 16-35G in it's focal range plus smaller lighter and cheaper. I'm assuming you are considering a move to FX? If SO Skip the D if you can, If your staying DX, then there are better lenses out there than what would become a 24-52.5 on your D7000, despite the "Hollow" feel to the Lens off the body, on camera it's beautifully balanced, plus you don't get a gold ring to attract attention and cause lens flare! :devilish: (Tongue firmly in cheek there!)

That was meant to be 27-52.5mm!
Sorry I hate it when I get it wrong...

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The older version is not rated well optically. I have the G version and it is excellent. "Feel" has little to do with anything optically, there are heavy lenses with crappy optics.

It was Rick's photos that pushed me over the edge to get the Nikon 18-35mm G. My local camera store told me the G version is much sharper than the D version. This first photo was taken with the G version lens; however, I didn't apply a lens profile in post.

14238306773_97dc901f1b_o.jpg

Follow Me by *Hark*, on Flickr

And here is the same image with a lens profile added in post. Notice the horizontal walkway lines are straighter and no vignetting either as both were adjusted using the lens profile in Lightroom.

14478249021_fece7b6b59_o.jpg

Follow Me with LR5 Lens Profile Applied by *Hark*, on Flickr