Sigma 20mm f1.8

Scott Ramsey

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this lens? I am looking at it for night sky work and the reviews are good. It gets a 25 on the DxOMark score card.

rocketman122

I know we all say, eh screw what DXOmark says but bottom line is we all look at it and what they write. but they write things that imo are based on some extra persuasion through some paper. I really believe it. theres no reason for them to test for no reason. they get payed. a LOT of reviewers get payed. or those support links to the vendors who sell them. or the beggar who drives in a merc, and has a breitling watch. KR.

so take reviews with a grain of salt. in fact take everything you read on the net with a grain of salt. on the net, anyone can be anyone. and no one can test that. very easy to be a reviewer and make extra money on the side. buy a lens, test it,return it for credit and then post. easy peasey

I considered the sigma, considered the nikon as well. all the zooms available. but at the end got the tamron 17-35. its a very nice lens. now im not 100% certain but I did some very quick initial tests vs my friends 17-35 AFS and from the pics, bests the AFS by a bit. I do want to take my friends lens and also anothers sigma 17-35 HSM lens and test all three but I think we will have quite the surprise.

https://www.mediafire.com/#knhqkuak1x86g

let me know if the link works for all the files. all exif and full sized not edited. take into consideration it was handheld but very fast shutter so that is pretty good indication. although I will do a tripod test and I think the tamron will come out on top.

Im hoping tamron revamps this lens

Last edited: