Umbrella Lighting thoughts

Nikonite1222

Hi There Everybody-

Looking for thoughts on using a umbrella. I am in the market to upgrade my lighting and this will be my first purchase with a large piece of lighting equip. So,,,,, here's what I was wondering
1.What size of Umbrella would be a good average size to start with,
2. What should I look for in an Umbrella, like a shoot through or reflection or both (if possible)
If there is anything else that you think could help,,I would love to hear it.

Thanks for taking the time.

Doug

Ranie

For a first umbrella, get at least 42 inch in size.
A shoot thru with a reflective cover model
A good light stand with wide foot print

Browncoat

When it comes to stands, you generally have two options: convenient/portable or sturdy. Consider going with a heavy duty stand and possibly even sandbags if you plan to use it outdoors. A lightweight stand w/ an umbrella + gust of wind = flying stand. Also keep in mind that stands usually do not come with an umbrella swivel attachment.

Personally, I'm not a fan of umbrellas, so I only have one: Westcott 43" white. Lighting is more difficult to control w/ an umbrella versus a softbox.

Nikonite1222

Hi All-

Thanks for the feedback, I will also look at softboxes, I am wanting to use these for portrait/product/on location photography and I thought that because you can use an unbrella for either shoot through or reflective that you would have more control than a softbax that is only a forward shooting light.

Thanks again !!!

Doug