Sigma 50mm F1.4 Art has landed in my world

Cowleystjames

Picked up today from my local camera store

sigma2.jpg

Taking a day out in London tomorrow to give it a work out and see if it's really better than my Nikon 58mm F1.4.
I'll post images taken with both and let you decide.

Cowleystjames

Me too, I'm quite excited by this lens. If it performs as good as it looks then I'll be extremely happy. Why can't the Nikon 58mm f1.4 look and feel this good.
It's definitely on a par with the Zeiss lenses.

rocketman122

Me too, I'm quite excited by this lens. If it performs as good as it looks then I'll be extremely happy. Why can't the Nikon 58mm f1.4 look and feel this good.
It's definitely on a par with the Zeiss lenses.

Because nikon needs to recoup money from the floods at the factory and lack of quality and skimping on it clearly shows in all of their primes. held and used the 85 1.4g at a wedding yesterday and besides IQ beeing a tad better, its clearly a step back. plastic bloated and cheap looking and feeling.

I think you made a nice choice going for the sigma. I think its overpriced for just a 50mm but I have no doubt it will better the 58mm.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Picked up today from my local camera store

Taking a day out in London tomorrow to give it a work out and see if it's really better than my Nikon 58mm F1.4.
I'll post images taken with both and let you decide.

Congrats on the lens. I only have the Sigma 85mm F1.4 HSM, although it is sharp at the center wide open, it meets my expectations and it is a fun lens to use. Art series are supposed to be much sharper but the bokeh on the 35mm F1.4 was only so so. I hope the 50mm will exhibit both sharpness and bokeh rendition without the fringing at f1.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShootRaw

Held and used the 85 1.4g at a wedding yesterday and besides IQ beeing a tad better, its clearly a step back. plastic bloated and cheap looking and feeling.

Wait wait wait now Rocket...The Nikkor 85mm 1.4G is built great..It is also still made in Japan..Pro glass sir and my favorite lens in the bag...just sayin....

rocketman122

Wait wait wait now Rocket...The Nikkor 85mm 1.4G is built great..It is also still made in Japan..Pro glass sir and my favorite lens in the bag...just sayin....

I think optically its fabulous. I used it yesterday in a wedding and it made me smile but I also used the D and while optically the G was better the D is faster in AF. I just think build is not the level it dhould be for an $1800 lens. I would DEMAND a metal body for that price. compared to the old, its a step back imo. I think all of the primes look and feel cheap and are a step back. af is slow on many of them. compared to the d versions. cheap plastic build, cheap plastic hoods, cheap plastic threading. this is not the nikon I know. when I think nikon primes, I think of "built like a tank"

-85 1.4 D
-105 f/2 DC
-135 F/2 DC
-180mm f/2.8

all wide primes

even the 85 1.8d is better built than the new primes. its plastic on the outside but you can feel its quality. today with nikon, its not the same as it was.

Sorry buddy, I just feel for that money, and putting it next to the 1.4d you clearly see its not the same quality. it looks great but not the same. I apologize if I offended you buddy. I just think nikon is spiraling down. they are greedy and give less than what they did. Im very sad to see nikon like this. and the fact their stock is so low says it all.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Lens build quality is very subjective. Rocketman likes the older model which were built like a tank; however, some welcomes the lighter weight of the composite material since carrying those lenses for six hours can wear you down.

I personally do not like the torque noise that the D lenses create but that is just my personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketman122

Yea I really like the crinkle metal finish of the older lenses. The metal lens hoods. The metal threads. Just I feel that nikon arent making the lenses elite in all aspects and are asking for more money. Im glad though that signa are delivering. Two things im worried with sigma is af accuracy, ca and compatability with newer gear. Ok thats 3. I started with all my gear sigma but I have a bitter taste withem so not forking my money over so quickly

really interested in their upcoming 85 135 24-70