Can someone explain this to me? SIGMA 200-500MM F2.8

kayte

SIGMA 200-500MM F2.8 SIGMA APO DG APO2005DGS - Henry's best camera store in Canada

Ok, this is obviously a super telephoto but what gets me are 2 things:
1. the price....who would pay $30,000 for a lens? I mean, even the highest end body would seem so inferior to the price tag of this baby.

2. the use? when would you use a telephoto like this? Maybe I'm naive still about slr's or just missing something but I can't see the purpose of this lens....

Saw this when I was wandering through the site for Henry's and decided to post and see what you guys thought....maybe I just have too much time on my hands, lol....

Ruidoso Bill

Re: Can someone explain this to me?

I think the nature and wildlife/bird folks would love to have it. It's all about the circumstance, say you're a big time high paid photog then it's just another expensive tool, the big deal here is f2.8, very fast glass for this type of lens. Maybe it would allow for that lifetime sought after poor light situation you've been battling.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member

wow, that's a hell of a lens. I would imagine it doesn't get purchased a whole lot.

kayte

at $30k, I don't think I would treat like luggage lol....maybe like a priceless museum piece or something....

Browncoat

Amazon has it for $26K LOL! It also comes w/ a 2X teleconverter, making this a 1000mm f/5.6 lens. Did you also notice that the lens has its own built-in LCD screen and battery supply? It's kinda funny that this beast has its own carrying handle.

Personally, I think even if you had all the money in the world, this lens would be a waste. The vibration would be so bad, it would be incapable of getting a sharp photo unless it was braced and bolted down to something.

kayte

I noticed that one of the uses listed was 'portraits'. WHAT?! is there someone out there really going to use this for portraits??? of what? pores and blackheads?

Even my hubby, who in the Canadian Forces under Army, would probably think the green was much...and everything he has is green....lol

Browncoat

They could make it bright pink and it wouldn't make much difference...no one is going to buy it anyway. :p

ChrisM

Even my hubby, who in the Canadian Forces under Army, would probably think the green was much...and everything he has is green....lol

Haha ... mine too! My hubby is Air Force so we have tons of green. Of course now they are switching everything over to tan and i'm getting sick of seeing that too! At least they rethought those ugly blue uniforms we almost went to ... they were really tacky.

You're a sports photographer on the sidelines of an NFL game, trying to get that ultimate "hit" shot of the QB being sacked - but he's clear on the other end of the field at the opposing 10 yard line. If you want to get the shot, how do you do it? From experience, with my 70-200mm f/2.8 with 2x teleconverter, you still aren't going to get the shot. With this lens, you'll get it - at a speed that you can stop the action. When it sells to Sports Illustrated for $10,000 - you'll be happy you invested in this lens.
On the "green" side, I'd probably use it in a field to capture images of hawks, kites (the birds), egrets, herons, etc. without spooking them, or invading their space. Someone got lucky enough to spot a bald eagle floating around in our airspace just north of Sebastopol - and that's what I'd use the lens to capture.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member

Personally, I think even if you had all the money in the world, this lens would be a waste. The vibration would be so bad, it would be incapable of getting a sharp photo unless it was braced and bolted down to something.

naaa... just do it hand held:
juza_handholding_sigma_200-500_2-8.jpg

Mike150

I found the disclaimer very disturbing. I copied and pasted it here, so the misspelling of the word canceled is not my fault.

"Special order - This item is not stocked in any of our stores. This item is available from our supplier but please order carefully, special orders are not returnable. Once your order is placed, it cannot be cancelled. Delivery time from supplier average 7-14 business days assuming our supplier has stock. Sorry, we cannot guarantee delivery times for any special order item."