How many people shoot this way?

Curt

I was just wondering how many of you shoot JPG-Basic- Optimal Quality?
I find I get the best results for what I do with these settings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Not me!!!
I prefer to shoot raw and then convert using sometimes CS5, sometimes Aperture and sometimes the Apple viewer that came with my iMac.
The digital noise I get using this shooting preference looks a lot more like regular film grain than the noise correction the jpeg conversion does.
But this is only my preference.
Ah, I almost forgot, You have a lot more latitude with raw files than jpeg if and when the recovering of highlights or shadows are needed.
Marcel

Curt

Great points Marcel, that's why I put the question out there :). Wanted to see what everyone was using and why.

Joseph Bautsch

I shoot everything in raw (NEF) files, down load them into an Aperture Library as raw (NEF) files, do all my post processing in raw (NEF), vault them (Aperture's back-up system) as raw (NEF) files. If I ever need any other format I use the Aperture export conversion to whatever I need them to be. I also shoot everything in Adobe RGB. If I need sRGB for the internet or emails or whatever the Aperture export converter can change that as well. The raw format gives maximum post processing latitude. I only do conversions to other formats when needed and I have a finished product. Even then if I want to do something different with a shot I still have the original raw shot to make what ever changes I want.

kayte

i've recently started to shoot in Raw only...go on my Photoshop cs3 and do my work from there then flatten and convert to JPEG...find I'm getting better results (though obviously need to fine tune ;) lol)

iiSKipper

I shoot jpg fine optimum quality or raw for everything if I'm going to edit and improve the photo.

Go for the best quality setting possible as you can go down in quality when editing but you can't do the opposite.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The main thing you have to remember with jpeg is that every time you work on a file and save it, if you don't save a version, you'll loose quality. Let's say you start working on a particular shot, decide to call it a night and save it to it's original name, you actually are compressing the already compressed jpeg.
This is why I feel NEF or RAW is safer for me as I always save a psd photoshop version, and then I'll save another version in jpeg. So, if I ever want to work on that file again, I can start fresh with an uncompressed file.
Jpeg files can deteriorate quite fast just saving and re-opening and saving if you don't change the name.
Marcel

theregsy

With the amount of images that I habitually shoot I have to work in Fine JPG, it takes long enough to work through 1000 images from 1 nights shooting as jpegs without the added tweaking and fettling of RAW files. I have shot in both RAW and NEF raw but only on occasions where I know that I will not be processing thousands of images in a short space of time. I don't think that there is anything missing from the highest quality jpegs and I can fit a load more of them onto an 8Gb card. Maybe when I manage to get a larger card or 2 I might be tempted to shoot RAW+Jpeg but at present just jpegs for me :)