Need lens advice from you mirrorless experts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill16

OK my friends! If you have been following my equipment purchases you'll already know what I have or have coming, but in case you don't, here's a list of what I have! :)

Nikon 1 V1 with extra battery pack and pro grip
Nikon 1 10-30mm lens
Nikon 1 30-110mm lens
Nikon 1 SB-N7 flash
Panasonic enloop AAA rechargeable batteries set of 8

Now realistically, what do you think I need in the way of lenses that I don't already have to complete this camera setup?
I'm seriously wanting a good setup, but I want to stay in the reasonable zone on my mirrorless setup. Also I would be interested in buying used if one of you have something you think would fill the bill(pardon the pun lol).

So please advise me my friends! :D

BarefootPilgrim

Bill, I've been a mirrorless shooter for about 4 years, but I shoot micro-4/3, not Nikon V1, so my sensor is a different size and the crop-factor is therefore not the same. Thought I'd weigh in here anyway, just to give you some things to think about.

It looks to me as if you have almost all your bases covered with those two lenses. The only things not covered are extreme fast apertures, super-telephoto, and macro. But I would assume that your D300 and F-mount lenses will be used for any of those, and the V1 will be a walk-around, take-everywhere rig.

If it were me, the next thing I'd get would be an adapter that would allow you to use your F-mount lenses on the V1. You can find one on Amazon for about $25. Once you start using your F-mount lenses, it should be pretty easy to get a clear idea of which focal-lengths you're lacking in the native lens briar patch.

Whatever you do, though, I'm sure you're gonna have a fun time with it!

Michael J.

Now realistically, what do you think I need in the way of lenses that I don't already have to complete this camera setup?

As a friend I am giving an advice dear Bill: "Go out shoot with what you have and you will find out what you need"

Phillydog1958

Bill, you're already there. I'd consider the Ft-1, later on, down the road. I saw your photos in the mirrorless forum. Nice shots. Keep it up.

Bill16

I was thinking about skipping the adapter, and just use my D300 for my macro work. But I was sorta thinking about the 18.5mm to give me a 50mm equivalent lens with better low light abilities indoors for photos of my Beloved, that I just take for me. :)

Do you think that lens would be worth adding to what I have on those requirements? I'm not too impressed with the 10-30mm in low light, and the flash bothers my loves eyes if I take too many shots(which I admit I like to do lol :)

Bill, you're already there. I'd consider the Ft-1, later on, down the road. I saw your photos in the mirrorless forum. Nice shots. Keep it up.

Phillydog1958

I was thinking about skipping the adapter, and just use my D300 for my macro work. But I was sorta thinking about the 18.5mm to give me a 50mm equivalent lens with better low light abilities indoors for photos of my Beloved, that I just take for me. :) ​Ha! Bill, are you taking boudoir photos of your sweetie? You ole rascal . . . :eek:

Do you think that lens would be worth adding to what I have on those requirements? I'm not too impressed with the 10-30mm in low light, and the flash bothers my loves eyes if I take too many shots(which I admit I like to do lol :)
If you're wanting a good indoor lens, you're considering the right one. The 18.5mm is pretty sharp. In the next few days, I'll take a few photos with it and post for you.

Bill16

Lol funny man! Lol Not telling so there! Lol :p

I have one I'm looking at now the will be over soon(an hour or so), that they said it used once but has all the box and stuff with it, or I could buy a best buy new one for $189.00!
Opinions?

If you're wanting a good indoor lens, you're considering the right one. The 18.5mm is pretty sharp. In the next few days, I'll take a few photos with it and post for you.

Last edited:

Bill16

OK got it! Bought it from best buy, but hate having to pay a $12 and some change sales tax on it. Oh well! Lol :)

Attachments

• $_57-6.JPG
    $_57-6.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 195

Bill16

I think this will be the last buy for me for some time. I think I'm pretty much set on my camera needs, and I'll have to save up for quite a while to upgrade my laptop. So I can't think of anything more I need right now! :D

As a friend I am giving an advice dear Bill: "Go out shoot with what you have and you will find out what you need"

Bill16

Well the batteries finally got here for my Nikon sb-n7 flash! The flash works awesome, which surprised me a little being so small! Lol I'm not sure how well the sb-n5 works but I'd highly recommend the sb-n7! It doesn't add much weight but gives out plenty of light for indoor shooting so far!
Tomorrow I will hopefully get my new 30-110mm lens, though it will still be a little while before my 18.5mm lens shows up. I can't wait to try them both out! :D

I wanted to take some photos of my love today since I got my flash working, but she was feeling real bad today so it wasn't an option. Sorry, didn't mean to get side tracked. :(

Anywho the flash turned out to be pretty cool, and I'm very glad I got one! What a difference a good flash can make sometimes! Lol :)

Bill16

Since I'm no longer looking for anymore gear for my V1, I'll go ahead and close this thread. Thanks all for helping me! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.