fireworks

mom2nj

So, tonight will be my first attempt at firework photos. Anyone have a recommendation on which settings I should use on my camera?

RocketCowboy

There were some recommendations in another thread, but from what I've gathered...

Long shutter time, low ISO, manual focus, bulb or timer to release the shutter without shake, and try to start the exposure as the firework is being launched.

I haven't gotten a chance to try these yet, but I'm hoping maybe tonight I'll see some down here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STM

This post is after the fact but this is what I have used in the past. I set the camera on a tripod, set the shutter speed on B and aperture on f/11 and ISO around 100 and then place a matte black card in front of the lens and open and lock the shutter. When you hear the fireworks fire, you can take the card away from the lens and replace it after the fireworks have gone off. You can place the card back in front of the lens and wait for the next round if you want to do a multiple exposure. Otherwise, just place the card in front of the lens and unlock the shutter. Doing it this way eliminates any unsharpness due to mirror slap

MartinCornwall

Good pointers so far. I would just add to get to the location early for a scout around. Find out where the fireworks are setting off from, make a note of the wind direction and try to position yourself with the wind coming from behind you so it is also blowing the smoke away from the fireworks and not into your shots. Setup early and be prepared as once the display begins it goes by real quick when taking photos as well ;)

Xrsm002

Here's a a few of my favorite pics I took July 4 my first time shooting fireworks. I was about 1/4 mile from where they were shooting them off at.

yvu8ahe5.jpg
vy2yba8a.jpg
emunater.jpg
uvasu5uq.jpg

Last edited:

RocketCowboy

very nice shots. I never did make it to the fireworks.. so i guess next year I will be ready!

That makes two of us. We ended up in New Orleans to see my in-laws, so the original plans for fireworks near home was delayed until next year. Still, I'm glad to have been able to read the advise, see the results, and hopefully get some testing in before the big show next year!