Just got a D5300

mom2nj

So I just got a camera 2 months ago. I am loving it so far. I am a little confused about one thing though, wondering if anyone will have an idea.. Lately I notice when i am on close up mode, it won't take a picture. I am not sure why? It beeps like it's going to but it just won't click. I never noticed this happening the first 6 weeks I had the camera. I am wondering if I changed a setting somehow? Any ideas would be wonderful.

RocketCowboy

How close? The one thing I've run into several times trying to take close ups of flowers in the yard is that different lenses need to have anywhere from a few inches to a foot or two of distance between the lens and the subject. Probably not the problem if you're taking pictures of people, but could be something to consider.

Either way, it sounds like the camera was unable to achieve focus, which is why it won't let you take the shot. You can try changing the lens to manual focus and see if that solves the problem for that particular shot. At least then you would know whether it's auto-focus related or something else.

mom2nj

That is probably the problem, too close.. I was thinking that. It's just odd that I never noticed it before. So I just need to back off a little lol

Blacktop

That is probably the problem, too close.. I was thinking that. It's just odd that I never noticed it before. So I just need to back off a little lol

depends on the lens you're using.
The 18-55mm lens has a maximum close focus distance of less then a foot. Nikon says 0.9ft but I have gotten in a lot closer then that with mine.
My 55-200 lens has around 4 feet of maximum close distance .
A macro lens will have the closest maximum distance for focusing.

nickt

Like RocketCowboy said, it likely was unable to focus for what ever reason. Try just backing further away and see if it takes a picture at some point. A very plain subject, like a bare wall will be hard for auto focus. A strange pattern can prevent focus too, like venetian blinds. Best guess is that you are too close for the lens.

edit.... time warp.... a bunch of replies appeared during the 30 seconds I posted this, lol. My browser is making me crazy today.

Last edited:

aroy

If you are less than the minimum focusing distance, the camera will not fire. Just remember that in manual focus mode (the A/M switch on the lense), you can go a bit closer. I have found that for close ups with kit lense, MF is more accurate.

Another time when the camera will not fire is when it cannot acquire focus. Happens mostly at dusk when the contrast is very low.

mom2nj

Thanks for all the tips. I think I was too close and a bit out of focus. I haven't been having any trouble the last few times

aroy

If you want to get a bit closer, use manual focus.
. Set the switch on the lense to M.
. Now use the focusing ring to focus. You will be spot on when the "range finder" in the VF is centered.

I do this when I want a bit more magnification than possible with AF. I have noticed that at close distances MF is more accurate than AF. If DOF bothers you, then set ISO at 100, aperture at F11 to F16 and use the flash. you will get sharp images.