35mm 1.8G or 50mm 1.8G?

drummerJ99

My birthday is coming up next week and wife had told me to pick out a lens I want. I currently have a 50MM Af lens that won't Autofocus on my D3200. I love the lens when I have time to focus.

My question is would I be off better replacing the 50MM Af lens with a 50MM AF-S or adding the 35mm to my bag? Which would you guys do?

Thanks In Advance,
Jeffrey

nickt

You probably have the 18-55? See what focal length you like best. Spend a few days at 35mm and a few at 50mm. Either of those would be a nice lens. You would not hate a 35mm. Are you ever going to move to another camera? Your 50mm could end up auto focusing if you ever get a body with a focus motor. That could be a reason to get the 35mm now and living with no autofocus on the 50.

Englischdude

hi there,
i have both a 50 and 35mm. when I am out and about or focusing (excuse the pun) more on portraits then the 50mm is my weapon of choice, living in an apartment however I sometimes just dont have the room to back up enough to compose the shot as I would wish with the 50, so I go for the 35mm. The 35mm is also razor sharp and focuses quite close, I use it mostly for chasing the kids around indoors.

Let us know what you decide

Geoffc

In answer to your question I think the 35mm is more useful for general purpose use.

If my wife asked me to pick out a lens I would be more adventurous and chance my luck for a 500mm F4 or a 300mm 2.8 :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

drummerJ99

In answer to your question I think the 35mm is more useful for general purpose use.

If my wife asked me to pick out a lens I would be more adventurous and chance my luck for a 500mm F4 or a 300mm 2.8 :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Lol I wish. Unfortunately she set a price limit. Don't think either of those would fly.

Chito

I have also both the 35 and the 50. I find the 35 more useful specially indoors. The 50 for me is better used for portraits.

Michael J.

I don;t have the 35mm but th e50mm and the 40 mm. I think cos of not doing that much portrait the 50mm inspired me to do some different outdoors as well indoors. It is a great lens. I used taking photos of my daughters stage performance as well as street and just for walk around.

I often thought buying me a 35mm but after I think the 50mm does a great job. Indoors I use my other lenses which can be wider than 50mm. And honestly, I don't have take photos much in very low light rooms so the 1.8 doesn't matter for me inside. If the light is down to much I use my camera in flash which I will replace soon to an external flash.

Sometimes, when I can't use flash I use the tripod or mono pod.

Englischdude

I don;t have the 35mm but th e50mm and the 40 mm. I think cos of not doing that much portrait the 50mm inspired me to do some different outdoors as well indoors. It is a great lens. I used taking photos of my daughters stage performance as well as street and just for walk around.

I often thought buying me a 35mm but after I think the 50mm does a great job. Indoors I use my other lenses which can be wider than 50mm. And honestly, I don't have take photos much in very low light rooms so the 1.8 doesn't matter for me inside. If the light is down to much I use my camera in flash which I will replace soon to an external flash.

Sometimes, when I can't use flash I use the tripod or mono pod.

michael, this is a really good suggestion which I forgot about. the 40mm completely slipped my mind. I have this one also and is great as walkaround, again very sharp, good for portraits AND you have some macro capability also. Strong consideration should be given to this option.

aroy

I also have the 50mm f1.8AF and 35mm F1.8 AF-S, apart from the kit 18-55. Each one is different. Though you have both 35mm and 50mm in the kit lense, there are quite a lot of differences.
. Prime is F1.8, so you can shoot in lower light and/or at lower ISO.
. The prime focuses faster.
. The prime is much smaller than the kit lens.

I was used to manual focus, so that was not much of a problem for me. With newer DSLR, I find MF much faster. You just use the view finder to get a sharp image and then use the "Range Finder" to fine tune it. At close distances I find MF much more accurate than the AF.

I say, get the 35mm AF-S. Here in India there was a major sale of the 35mm F1.8 AF-S and the price slipped from around $250/ to $135/ and that is when I got it.