Newbie need help picking new lens!!

Wise_Guy_3

I recently bought a D3200 because I want to get into automotive photography. All the big guys in the automotive photography world say the best way to go is wide angle. I want something with a good zoom but also is a good wide angle lens. The sigma 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 I've heard and read is very good at both. What do you guys think about it? I would love any suggestions but I don't want to spend more than $500 on a lens thanks a ton!!

Blacktop

The 18-55mm kit lens that you got with your D3200 (assuming that you didn't just buy the body) is quite capable of getting you started.

aroy

The 18-55mm kit lens that you got with your D3200 (assuming that you didn't just buy the body) is quite capable of getting you started.

This is a very good lense for beginners. The wider the zoom range, the lower the IQ, so the 18-250 will not be as good as the 18-55.

Start using this lense at the wide end. Try out various combinations of aperture, speed and ISO. For clean noise free images use ISO 100. I assume most automobile shooting will be in bright light, so ISO 100 will not be much of a problem. Once you are satisfied with the results, then slowly increase the ISO and examine the noise. Do not use the ISO beyond which noise will degrade the images in your opinion.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The 18-55 is probably not giving you the "super-wide" effect that you are looking for. If you really want that look, you should be looking at a Sigma 10-20. You can get that for less than $500.

nickt

Think about what you really want in terms of range. Don't get caught up in the newbie thinking that a new lens automatically gives better pictures. There are optical compromises in getting something like the 18-250. Get it only if you really need an all-in one convenience lens with some extra reach beyond what you have.

If you need wider than 18mm, consider what Marcel said and get something wider than what you have. If you are happy with your current range and just looking for more stunning pictures, then work at getting stunning car pictures with your 18-55 first before buying new lenses.

Check out the automotive threads here for ideas and see what you like. There are some cool shots done with ultra wides, but also many great shots with longer lenses.