AF-S Lenses

ChrisM

I'm considering getting a new lens for my D3100 ... I know that I need a lens that autofocuses through the lens (can't remember the exact term for that) because from what i've read the D3100 has no internal autofocus. I need autofocus because right now manual frustrates me. So is only the lenses marked AF-S that do this correct?

Mark E

Yes the AF-s is what you need. Take a look at the 18x200, it is one of my favorite lens, and will work properly on your camera.

Ranie

If you are talking of Nikon lenses, yes, look for AF-S lenses. But third party lenses have their own models with motors too.

ChrisM

Yes the AF-s is what you need. Take a look at the 18x200, it is one of my favorite lens, and will work properly on your camera.

I will do ... I have the 18-55mm now, it came with the camera ... but i've been peeking at the 55 - 200mm ... i'll have to check into that one as well.

fotojack

Look at the 55-300 AF-S lens, too. It will compliment your 18-55 lens beautifully! This way, you'll be covered from 18mm to 300mm! :)

ChrisM

Thanks Jack! Good point!

That's the one I'm renting for the air show in April anyway so i'm figuring i'll give it a test those few days and see how well I like it. I also want a prime lens for lowlight shots, but the one i've been eyeing (35mm 1.8) now seems to be backordered everywhere or way overpriced.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
but the one i've been eyeing (35mm 1.8) now seems to be backordered everywhere or way overpriced.[/QUOTE]

The 50mm 1.8 is half the price and is a great low light lense for portrait on the crop sensor. Even on the FX, I use it for portrait when I want to put a lot of space between the subject and the background.

Marcel