1st time using LR

run4fun

Tokina 11-16 2.8 W/D7100....I shoot in jpeg and then did some tweaking in LR, should I be shooting in RAW then tweak in LR??

Truck (1 of 1).jpg

kluisi

Tokina 11-16 2.8 W/D7100....I shoot in jpeg and then did some tweaking in LR, should I be shooting in RAW then tweak in LR??

View attachment 98631

I would, but it's a preference. There's more work to do in Post if you shoot in RAW (only because the camera doesn't do it for you like it does when you shoot JPG), but you can do so much more than the camera can after the fact in Lightroom.

I do like your shot though. HDR? Is that what's going on in the sky, or did it actually look like that?

RocketCowboy

I'm seeing different gradients in the sky, but I'm thinking it's artifacts from editing a jpeg in LR and then saving again. It feels over-exposed, or HDR'ed like @kluisi mentioned, but I'm pretty novice here with LR too.

My preference has been to shoot RAW, but I'll also shoot RAW+JPG at times (currently how my camera is set) so that I can compare the two images and decide how much time I'm willing to put into post.

I dig the composition, and think if this had been shot in RAW you'd have the flexibility to clean up what I think I'm seeing in the sky...

STM

I too see a lot of banding in the sky. The image just seemed "overworked" to me but that may just be personal preference.

I shoot nearly 100% in RAW. CS5 has a great .NEF converter so there is really no reason not to. Of course the files are a lot bigger than a .jpg, but RAW gives you more flexibility in tweaking even before you do any tweaking within the actual program.

WayneF

Adobe does lossless editing in JPG too, which means,yes, you might as well be shooting Raw.

If you make edits in the JPG, and save it, lossless means the original is always preserved, and it simply saves your edit info (the list of changes, so to speak). Then if you look at that image in other software, lossless means it only sees the original JPG, it does not see your edits. So Lightroom needs to output a new JPG for all other software to see (anything not Lightroom). Lightroom knows how to apply those edits to the new copy it outputs.

So it might as well be Raw. Raw has more range, does not suffer the original JPG problems, does not shift the data back and forth, etc.
Raw is pretty much the idea.

It is true that Raw does not have the camera settings in it. But you can of course set any of those settings you want in Lightroom for it, with the huge advantage of being able to see it first, to know what it needs, and to get it like you want it. This is extreme advantage.

Last edited:

kluisi

This is the original pic....View attachment 98643

Well the good news is that IMO everything below the horizon looks great to me, but the sky definitely needs some work (or maybe needs less work. I'm guessing you bumped the clarity, contrast, and/or sharpening up too high. Maybe you needed that for the ground, but you can use the gradient tool to apply those same edits to different parts of the image. Give it another try and see if you can even out the blue banding in the sky some.

nickt

I'll have to try it out, just worried my pics won't look good but I guess with time and practice!

You can create and automatically apply a preset on import. Although not hard, that may be more than you want to think about at this point in your learning, so try this instead: Shoot a few raw only shots and import them. In the develop module, turn on camera calibration. Click on the profile choices under camera calibration. Try each one and see what you like. Set it as the default. (alt key)
This might be enough of an initial tweak to put you at ease to shoot raw only. I shot Raw + jpg for awhile, but I was importing both and it made for clutter and confusion and was not helping my learning.

DraganDL

Now, without postprocessing corrections, the colors are dull ("original pic"). But even jpg can be corrected:

photo(1).jpg

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    632.3 KB · Views: 80

run4fun

Now did you edit this yourself because it looks 100% better! Are both pics. the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDFlood

Raw, absolutely. Also, just a hint, don't center your subject. If you had panned a little to the right and got more of the cloud, putting the hood closer to the left edge, it would be more esthetically pleasing.