Nikon 14mm f/2.8 prime vs. others

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Just wondering about any comparisons between a Nikon 14mm f/2.8 AF-D prime compared with Rokinon, Sigma, and Tamron prime counterparts. I've read reviews but am not seeing the Nikon coming out way ahead of the Sigma or Rokinon. I'm not interested in a zoom because of price. Between these 3-4 manufacturers, can you tell me any pros/cons? Thanks!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have no experience with these lenses but if it is just for occasional use, the cheaper lenses are worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I have no experience with these lenses but if it is just for occasional use, the cheaper lenses are worth considering.

It's not so much the price as the Nikon is used--just wondering which might yield the sharpest photos. According to DXO Mark, the Rokinon is sharper than the Nikon; however, I hear people talk about some type of mustache blurring with the Rokinon (at least I think that's what they said). Obviously none are as sharp as the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8. If anything, I prefer ultra wide photos over super telephoto photos so I want a lens that will be a keeper. :)

Rick M

Everything I've read says it's sharp, but the complex distortion can be a problem in architectural photography. After a lot of research, I did not buy any 14mm. The problem is there is not a near perfect one at any price. The very expensive Nikon only gets mediocre reviews. The rokinon would be my choice because it's issues are overcome by the price and the IQ is there. For the price of the Nikon, it should be stellar.

aroy

Actually the 14-24 is a much better lense at 14mm, and you can zoom it to 24. The only reason to get the 14mm is reduced weight 670g vs 1000g. Fitting a filter is a problem with both these lense as the front element curves out, hence normal screw on filters are out.

The Zeiss 15mm lense is a better option as it is linear and sharp across the field.

480sparky

The Rokinon (Also sold under the names Samyang, Vivitar, ProOptic, Bower, Opteka, Bell & Howell, Falcon and Walimex) has terrible mustache (compound) distortion. It is correctable (although I don't know of PS has a profile for it), but you lose so much of the image doing so you end up with the equivalent of a 16- or 17-mm lens.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I bought the Nikon 14mm used for $999. Not a bad price although it doesn't have the box. The lens and lens cover are in excellent shape and no marks on or inside the glass. Now I've got to figure out how to make the most of this lens as it does distort around the edges. I can also crop to make the images more like a 16mm lens, too. ;)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm looking forward to seeing some samples off that 14mm lens!

Here is a photo from this lens. I really need to learn the in's and out's of such an ultra wide angle lens to get the most out of it--I've never had anything remotely this wide. I opted not to remove the vignetting because I preferred having it. Apparently I wasn't quite centered when I took the photo so no matter how much I tried to adjust the perspective, it is still off a little. But hey...we all have to start somewhere, right?!! ;)

14581090832_038e5c8481_o.jpg

Freak Out Carnival Ride by *Hark*, on Flickr

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Sounds like you got a good deal! Where did you get it?

I bought it at Allen's Camera here in Pennsylvania. It was a choice between this Nikon, a brand new Sigma 14mm f/2.8 that apparently sold later the same day I was there (I think the price on the Sigma was $649.99), a new Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 with the focus chip, and a used Tamron 14mm f/2.8. The Tamron did show a little bit of wear on the outside of the lens. Since I really wasn't interested in the Tamron, I didn't look at its glass.

I kept asking why the price was so low on the Nikon 14mm because their prices tend to be at least comparable to other online used prices, but he said they would have checked the price when they posted it for sale. No complaints here because I inspected the glass very carefully (it's flawless), and everything works perfectly. Other than a couple of small marks that aren't very noticeable, the lens is immaculate. It came with a lens cover but didn't have the pouch (which isn't an issue for me). :D