Swimming with my niece

SacrificeTheory

14546034664_e1db206b13_h.jpg

What's your opinions on this? Things that could change, etc.

Nikon 70-200mm 2.8G
1/1000
f- 2.8
ISO 100
102mm shot at

mikew_RIP

Personally i dont like the depth of the color cast but i come from color printing and would have thought i had made a mistake with the filters but thats just me.

Took a little out
14546034664_e1db206b13_hmm.jpg

STM

Ok, Bigfoot jokes aside, here are a few recommendations. This is real quick and dirty:

1. The red and yellow saturation is a little high and there is also some color contamination on her face from the swimsuit
2. The depth of field and composition are very good, but the bright green specular highlights in the background are distracting. Our eyes are naturally drawn to points of bright light against a dark background so compete for your attention. I would also get rid of the two people in the background.

STM

Here is my re-edit. Do you think it's better?

14555315621_9e06a47fb5_h.jpg

In some respects perhaps, but now the highlights on your niece are now blown out, especially on her face. It also looks over-sharpened to me as well, I see a lot of sharpening artifacts around her and the background has more distracting specular highlights at the edge of the water than before.

SacrificeTheory

In some respects perhaps, but now the highlights on your niece are now blown out, especially on her face. It also looks over-sharpened to me as well, I see a lot of sharpening artifacts around her and the background has more distracting specular highlights at the edge of the water than before.

I noticed it was over-sharpened as well. The preset I used doubled the sharpen that was already on the image.

Here is another edit. I also added more of a matte background as well

14557346104_268c3523e7_h.jpg

STM

I noticed it was over-sharpened as well. The preset I used doubled the sharpen that was already on the image.

Here is another edit. I also added more of a matte background as well

14557346104_268c3523e7_h.jpg

I am not familiar with LR at all but CS5 has something called "Smart Sharpen" which allows you to adjust several parameters including radius and amount. I have finally gotten it to where I like it and pretty much leave it alone. If I sharpen the image and it looks like a little too much, I go to "edit" and "fade smart sharpen" to 0% and then slowly move it back up until it is where I like it, which is usually somewhere between 25 and 35%. Not sure if Lightroom has a similar capability.