General Composition

RocketCowboy

Not sure this is the best sub-forum, so no worries if this thread needs to be moved somewhere else. These pictures weren't taken with my Nikon, so just looking more for composition input/feedback/suggestions than anything.

These were taken with my iPhone, but I figure when the urge strikes, use what I got with me...

DMA1.jpg

DMA2.jpg

DMA3.jpg

singlerosa_RIP

I was at a presentation last night by a Canon Explorer of Light dude named Hanson Fong, who said that he was taught to pick a background and then position his subject against that background. In other words, the BG can make or break a photo. Subject in #2 blends into the BG and the chopped off bodies in #3 distract me from the subject. I'd crop #3 and eliminate the top third.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I agree with Singlerosa and I have been guilty of the same type of shots. I see something that looks interesting, but forget to look at the background. I hope, with time, to overcome this oversight. I guess I need to treat my camera like one of my firearms. Know your target and "beyond". Ha!

RocketCowboy

I was at a presentation last night by a Canon Explorer of Light dude named Hanson Fong, who said that he was taught to pick a background and then position his subject against that background. In other words, the BG can make or break a photo. Subject in #2 blends into the BG and the chopped off bodies in #3 distract me from the subject. I'd crop #3 and eliminate the top third.

Thanks @singlerosa! I was aware of the blending with image #2, but thought maybe I had gotten enough light to pull it off. I also wasn't digging the rope around the base to keep people off the sculpture, but I couldn't find a way to get the shot without that there. I don't know if a flash would have helped with that shot or not.

On #3, I also agree. If I crop the upper third out, does the blank space in the lower third end up being too empty?

Blacktop

Thanks @singlerosa! I was aware of the blending with image #2, but thought maybe I had gotten enough light to pull it off. I also wasn't digging the rope around the base to keep people off the sculpture, but I couldn't find a way to get the shot without that there. I don't know if a flash would have helped with that shot or not.

On #3, I also agree. If I crop the upper third out, does the blank space in the lower third end up being too empty?
You wont lose any people even if you crop them out. Their reflections are all over the pool. I think this is just one of those shots that you need to let go, and move on.
Don't worry, I have thousands like that.:eek:

Composition wise, I like the first shot the best.

I have no comments on the second shot.:indecisiveness:

Last edited:

RocketCowboy

You wont lose any people even if you crop them out. Their reflections are all over the pool. I think this is just one of those shots that you need to let go, and move on.
Don't worry, I have thousands like that.:eek:

You read my next thought just after I exported the cropped version to post here. The reflections are still too busy.

Horoscope Fish

And if the backgrounds don't git ya, the corners will.

What might have worked with a couple of these shots might have been changing your position. Getting in closer and lower maybe... At least on the first and third shots. Not sure what you could have done, really, with the second one. That's a toughie.

Eyelight

A healthy does of background blur would help all three.

#1 - Shifting the camera to the left to use the right wall as background might work better. Maybe???

#2 - Color-pop the fork to separate it from the background

#3 - I wouldn't stand around. Those things might hatch. If you really like the eggs, you could shop away the people. Tip for next time when the extras just won't stop moving past: snap several shots form the same location and then photomerge the peopleless parts together. Of course if you had a wPhone you could do a smart sequence and remove all the moving objects.:)