An awesome flash/lighting website I want to share with you!!!!

Nikonite1222

Hi Everybody-

I want to share with you a website that I found that is just AWESOME !!!!

This is for folks that are learning about studio and off camera flash photography. The address is Welcome to Strobox - Create, Share, Learn. on there home page, you pick what kinds of photography you are/will be shooting, select the lighting you use and click search. It will bring up tons of photos that were taken with your selections and it give you the camera settings and full lighting diagrams on ow to re-create the shot,,,and best of all,,it's free !!! You can even upload your shots so other can learn, so it's always changing. This is an amazing site and I really hope you all enjoy !!!

Please feel free to post your thoughts or other sites that you would like to suggest.

Thanks- Doug

Browncoat

Yeah, I don't find Strobox to be a very good learning tool. For a site that's supposed to be about lighting, there are hardly any lighting settings shown. Given their large database of photos for the short time this site has been active, I'm inclined to believe most of these images were simply pulled off the internet. In my opinion, many of the settings that are shown don't match up with the results either.

JoeLewisPhotography

Agreed. There are a lot of flaws with the search results too. Every subject i chose to see with natural light only....all used flash/strobe setups. Its a great concept, just not executed well. If anything, its a great place to go for ideas, especially with the 365 projects. Also, some great shots to just admire. Thats about it though.

theregsy

I agree, by no means am I an expert but I searched for group + natural and you can see the flash shadows on some of them. If would be excellent if it worked, maybe a nikonites version?

Nikonite1222

Thanks for all your feedback, I guess I was excited to find something that was giving me info that I had been looking to learn for some time, but could not find the info in the format that I could learn from, I feel rather stupid and embarrassed right now for thinking I had found something cool. So does any body out there know where I can find a website similar to Strobox but is more accurate??? I really love the info it gives with the diagram to support it and would love to find something similar.

Thanks for you time

Doug

Browncoat

No need to feel stupid and embarrassed, Doug. The great thing about the internet is the wealth of information at your fingertips. The downside is, you have to have a built-in filter to recognize which information is credible. We are one of those filters.

What you will not find here on Nikonites is a bunch of misinformation. We're all here to learn together and try to provide valuable resources for one another. First a question: what type of lighting are you interested in learning about?

Lighting is such a broad category, you really do need to break it down further. Are you interested in strobe (aka flash) lighting? Natural? Studio? There are few "catch-alls" out there, but it's easy to find resources to learn about various types of lighting. For example, one of the best-known and respected authorities on strobe lighting is Strobist. Start with Lighting 101 and go from there.

In general, try to avoid crowdsourced content. You can count on at least half of those submitting images to sites like Strobox have no clue what they're talking about.

Last edited: