Recording professional sound with the D7100

CreativeDot

Hello..

i would like to know more info about what kind of microphones i can connect on my D7100. I am working on a project where i will be recording in a studio with green screen. A guy will be talking (like the news) and i need the sound to be perfect with the video.

Can you please recommend me some solutions?

Thank you! :D

CreativeDot

Hi Thanks for your input WayneF...., Polsen might be exactly what i need... are you happy with the sound? How does it record the voice? Is the wire long enough to keep the camera in a good distance of 2 meters?

Hi gqtuazon... thanks for your answer.. i dont know much about mics so o dont know the difference between shotgun mic and lapel type mic. Which one do you recommend?

WayneF

I have done no testing of audio quality, and it is inexpensive, but I am very happy with it for voice. Cameras and cell phones don't have elaborate microphones in them either. :)

I was thinking the cable is 15 feet, but it says 20 feet, which is about 6 meters. Extensions could be added. But if you don't want to see your green screen subject trailing a cord, you may want a radio system.

Microbois

Regardless of the microphone you will use, most likely you won't like the sound quality that your D7100 will record. I have a D610, and the buzzing sound was horrible due to low quality preamps in the camera. You can watch a video here : https://vimeo.com/85673816 showing you the problem.

For that reason, and to get XLR connections, I purchased the Tascam DR-60D PCM linear recorder. But this is only half of the battle, you will still need to hook it up to a decent microphone. I already had some of different types, but if you want good quality at a decent price, the RODE NTG1 or NTG2 (with phantom power) shotguns are great for the money, but you will need a boom pole and the attachment. A lavalier microphone would be the way to go for your specific application, but the good ones are pricey. I use Sennheiser body packs and my transmitter and receiver cost around 800$, maybe not the kind of money you want to spend. Sorry, I can't help more on that end, but just remember the sound on your D7100 will suck if you feed it directly from any type of microphones.

Lastly, another option maybe to get the Rode VideoMic Pro. The preamps are much better, and you can actually feed your camera by lowering the recording level in the camera, while boosting the signal +20dB coming from the Rode mic. Overall, sound quality will be much better, I would even say acceptable, but you'll be limited in the distance you are from your subject. If you're planning on shooting at many different angles and distances, then your sound will be uneven, a lavalier is the only solution then.

Hope this helps,

Benoit