Aperture stuck!!!!!!

recceranger

I'm scratching my baldy head over my D3000. On manual and no mater what lens I use it's always limiting me to F22 when I use infinity focus or F25 when I open Aperture.

As an example - my standard 18 - 55mm lens will set to F22 on 18mm and F25 at 55mm. Never had this problem and it's only when I'm on manual

I'm bedazzled! Has anyone come across this before and if so what was the fix?

WeeHector

On the 18-55 lens, does it change automatically as you change the focal length?
If so try pressing the aperture button (+/-) and turn the setting wheel to reset the aperture. I've just tried this on my D3100 and was able to duplicate your problem. :)

nickt

I took your question to mean that you can not set your aperture at all in Manual other than f22 or f25. In other words, you cannot choose say, f8 in Manual. For that, I had no clue.

But I think WeeHector has heard you better and I think you are experiencing the variable aperture of the lens. For many lower cost lenses, the widest (low numbered) available aperture is only available at the widest zoom. Here is a brief Nikon article explaining:

Zoom Lens Maximum Aperture: Fixed and Variable Apertures from Nikon

What is not mentioned in the article is there is also a corresponding change in the minimum (higher numbered) aperture as you zoom. I think this is what you are seeing. You will be allowed to select a higher numbered aperture at full zoom than you can select at a wider setting.

Bob Blaylock

I'm scratching my baldy head over my D3000. On manual and no mater what lens I use it's always limiting me to F22 when I use infinity focus or F25 when I open Aperture.

As an example - my standard 18 - 55mm lens will set to F22 on 18mm and F25 at 55mm. Never had this problem and it's only when I'm on manual

I'm bedazzled! Has anyone come across this before and if so what was the fix?

Is it possible that you just don't know how to change the aperture in M mode? On my D3200 (and I assume it's the same on your D3000) you need to press and hold this button, while turning this wheel, to change the aperture. Turning the wheel without pressing the button changes the shutter speed.

2014-06-29 16.30.14.jpg