Nikkor DX 300 or older Sigma DL 300 on a D610

Fortkentdad

I have two longer lenses that shoot up to 300mm. A Nikkor AF-S 55-300 DX VR that I bought with my D5100 two years ago, and a Sigma 100-300mm F4.5-6.7 AF-DL that I bought about 14 years ago with my F60. I used the Siggy on a trip to Scotland and at the time was very pleased with the results. But after a while the cost of developing among other things gradually reduced my use of the F60 and then I got a Fuji Digital and the rest is history for my F60. Now it sits in it's box waiting to become an antique.

When I got the D5100 I had hopes of using the Siggy 300 but alas it did not autofocus and I was swayed to buy the newer Nikkor with "VR". I used that lens in the past two years and have been happy with it. The Siggy collected more dust.

Now I have a D610 and pulled out the Siggy again. I did some testing and expected the IQ from the Nikkor with VR to be better than the Siggy because of the VR - but I think the greater resolution of the FX Siggy lens wins the day.

Because I expect to use this both hand held and on tripod I tried to test the IQ hand held. Picked a rather bland view of the end of my old garage but it serves the purpose. I let the D610 autocrop for a DX lens. Other than that the settings were pretty much the same, F/8 in aperture priority. I took several shots and picked the best - there wasn't much difference.

First one is the Nikkor, Second the Siggy.

NikkorDX300_DSC1141.jpgSiggy300_DSC1113.jpg

I understand there are better lenses than this old Siggy but for my purposes and pocket book for now it will be my long lens. Thought of buying a different "less expensive" aka cheapo, long lens but I don't want to spend over $200 and from what I can tell what I can afford at the moment won't be much better than the Siggy I have.

If I was to replace my Siggy what would you recommend?

If cheap enough maybe sooner rather than later - either that or I start hinting at what Santa can bring me.

Last edited:

Bill16

I can't really give much of an opinion, since I don't own a full frame Nikon. But I would think sigma being full frame type of lens would give you higher MPs, if you don't mind the manual settings. If I were trying to decide, I'd likely consider selling both to invest in a better FX lens if that is doable. If not I'd likely keep the sigma if it were me.

Fortkentdad

I can't really give much of an opinion, since I don't own a full frame Nikon. But I would think sigma being full frame type of lens would give you higher MPs, if you don't mind the manual settings. If I were trying to decide, I'd likely consider selling both to invest in a better FX lens if that is doable. If not I'd likely keep the sigma if it were me.

I still have the D5100 and think there will be times that I go with my second camera so the Dx still has a place. As for selling the Siggy - I don't think they go for that much - just looked up on eBay - buy now $45 comes with a Kenko filter. It would cost that much to ship it from Canada.

The resolution difference: DX = 3935x2624 vs FX at 6016x4016 is what gives the edge to the old Siggy.

It will do until I can afford a better FX - I've begun scoping out the alternatives. When i narrow the options down to a few choices I'll post a query asking for opinions.

So much will depend on my use - if I want to capture birds in flight then I'll need a faster one (and better skills - and lots of luck). If I'm good with a tripod shot of a distant stationary (or slow moving) object (train spotting) then maybe I'll get away with a less expensive alternative. We will see.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

I think you need to take some pictures of your normal interest subjects,the sigma looks like it may well see you through for now,dont think i have ever seen the comment on here lovely picture but you need a better lens,hope i never do.

aroy

The Sigma looks to have slightly better resolution and micro contrast.

Try them both at 300mm on both a high contrast and on a low contrast scene. Some Nikon glass have a lot of purple fringing at high bright areas bordering dark areas. Keep the glass that has minimal fringing. If both are same, then keep the Sigma.

Fortkentdad

Talked my wife into picking up the D5100 and trying her hand at DSLR photography. She's starting out auto-all and may stay there but that's OK. Not everyone wants to play with all those buttons. So I'll leave the Nikkor 300 in the D5100 kit bag.