50mm 1.8

greg232

What are the differences between the 50mm 1.8? There is AF-S, G and D. I was looking to pick a 50mm for my D7000, always need a 50mm no matter what brand you shoot.

Blacktop

Some say that the G version is a teeny weeny bit sharper. Also the D version will not auto focus on the 3xxx and the 5xxx bodies. It will on yours.
I would get the D and save a hundred bucks.

RON_RIP

I prefer the D. Just tried an experiment where I coupled the 50 mm with the PK-13 extension tube. It gave me almost the same close focus as my 55mm micro lens. Photos taken with the two set ups were virtually the same. And to Greg I would say that, yes, you always need a 50mm lens.

Last edited:

aroy

There is 50mmAF, 50mmAF-D and 50mmAF-S G.
. AF has no motor and does not convey focusing distance to the body. So flash will not function in auto mode.
. AF-D is same as Af but conveys distance to the body, so flash will work correctly in auto mode.
Niether will AF if there is no motor in the body - 3xxx, 5xxx and some older models
AF-S G has motor in the body so will focus on any body. It is also D so flash will work perfectly in auto mode.
The 50mm F1.8D is a bit sharper, has less geometric distortion and less CA compared to the G version.
Here is a comparison

Nikkor AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G on Nikon D800 versus Nikkor AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D on Nikon D800 versus Nikkor AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G on Nikon D800 - Side by side lens comparison - DxOMark

aroy

What about the 50mm/1.4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
50mm F1.4 in all versions is slightly inferior to the F1.8 versions. You get more DOF at F1.4 but vignetting, distortions and CA are generally more. For lenses corrected for these you need to consider the modern designs - Zeiss and Sigma. They have moved away from the classic Gaussian design (which had the minimum elements) to a complicated design with more than twice the number of elements and assiciated increase in weigh, size and of course price. Of course if you want the best they are their, but at a steep price.