Shutter won't fire

starbird

I was shooting with the self timer and when I returned all the settings back to single servo shooting the shutter button would not fire. Everything appears to be set correctly, but I know I turned, pushed or pulled something that is making this happen and I don't know what else to look for. HELP

I've checked the manual and reset the shooting menu. I know this is the result of using the timer and then going back. I have had the camera for years, been shooting for Bird Talk magazine for 23 years and I have never used the self timer before.

Last edited:

Eyelight

Stop. Sit back. Relax. Check the obvious.

- Camera switched on (I'm guilty)
- Battery charged
- Lens attached securely
- Check that switches/wheels are fully set or clicked

Set everything to manual; mode, AF, etc.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
This is weird. I don't know since I'm not a camera tech, but it looks like maybe a contact problem either in the mode selection wheel of the shutter itself has gone bad. Have you tried doing a camera reset (two buttons)? Have you tried other mode (High speed continuous)?

Sorry I can't help more.

Please get back to us if you do find the culprit.

Welcome to Nikonites.

Englischdude

in addition to the points mentioned, check what release mode you have set. For example, if the camera is set to AF priority, the shutter will only release if focus is exactly locked. if the ambient conditions are such that it is difficult for the camera to lock focus it wont fire.

nickt

Does the meter come on when you press the shutter? Anything flashing in the viewfinder? Does the camera attempt to auto-focus? If not focusing, look for reasons like maybe the lens is switched to manual or buttons reassigned. If it does attempt focus, is it successful?