is the 60mm 2.8 macro lens any good?

markD90

as it says really?
for my D90

iv been offered one for a cheap price....and am wondering if its cos its rubbish....i have been told its a cracking lens but just thought id ask you lot!!

thanks in advance

Ranie

what do you mean by cracking lens?

this lens has been discussed in various thread. you can do a search and read about it.

Joseph Bautsch

You don't say if the lens is pre 2008 or the newer AF-S? The pre 2008 is a AF-D lens. The AF-S is more expensive with the silent wave focus drive built in. The lens has been around for quite awhile and is very popular with the macro shooters. Either lens will work fine with your D90. Both have the same glass and are very good lenses.

Joseph Bautsch

It's a "AF-D" lens. That means it does not have the silent wave focus motor drive. Most likely pre 2008. It won't focus as fast as the "S" lens but is still an auto focus on the D90. (The D90 has a built in lens focus drive.) The "D" lens is going for around $350 to $400 used. The "S" lens new is around $600. Nikkor lenses usually have a very long life. A "D" lens in good shape will give you the same quality shots as a "S" lens, same glass. If you don't mind a little slower focusing it can be a good buy.

markD90

so if the seller has emailed me saying its an AF-special.......because it apparently says that on the box.... does that make it an AF-S or is he trying to pull a fast one?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't know about you guys, but for me I don't mind manual focus in macro mode. As a matter of fact, this is what I use most of the time when I shoot up close. Specially with flowers, you need to put the focus at the right place to get the nice effect.
So if you're buying the lens mostly for it's macro capabilities, go for it.
Marcel

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

so if the seller has emailed me saying its an AF-special.......because it apparently says that on the box.... does that make it an AF-S or is he trying to pull a fast one?

Ask the seller to send you a pic of the box. Maybe he thinks the S means special. :) If the box clearly says AF-S.....then you know for sure it's an AF-S lens. :) If it just says AF on it, well...........now you know that, too. :)

Joseph Bautsch

I would say the guy doesn't know anything about lenses or what any of theses numbers and letters mean. I agree with jack request a photo of the box that shows the description.

Ruidoso Bill

I don't know about you guys, but for me I don't mind manual focus in macro mode. As a matter of fact, this is what I use most of the time when I shoot up close. Specially with flowers, you need to put the focus at the right place to get the nice effect.
So if you're buying the lens mostly for it's macro capabilities, go for it.
Marcel

I couldn't agree more, my macro is so shallow in dof manual focus is the only way to us it.

bobmielke

I specifically moved from the Nikon D40X to the D90 so I could use my 60mm F/2.8 Macro. It's a wonderful lens whether used for close-up work or portraits. Example below:

Wilbur-05-XL.jpg