Some feedback please :)

kayte

I figure I could use some feedback on some photos I took recently.

My dog earlier today in her favourite spot by the window.
EXIF:
f/5.6, 1/50
ISO 200
used my 70-210mm Nikkor lens, at 210mm
juno68.jpg

My nearly 6 month old daughter, Izabelle
EXIF:
f/2.8, 1/50
ISO 200
used my 28mm Sigma Macro lens
izzy118.jpg

The newest member of our family, the 1.5 year old red mini Dachshund that I named Lexie
EXIF:
f/5.6, 1/50
ISO 200
used my 70-210mm at 210mm
dogs10.jpg

My daughter this morning, on the first really nice day to get outside
EXIF:
f/4.5, 1/320
ISO 200
used my 70-210mm Nikkor lens at 70mm
aby70.jpg

Thanks ahead of time :)

Rick M

I like the composition of the shots, but the over exposure kinda plows out the B&W shots . Is the +2 exposure intentional? I think the last shot would have benefited from some fill in flash.

Last edited:
My opinion:

Shot 1 - Too hot, with way too many blown out details. I find the _________ right above the dogs' head (floating in mid-air) and the grey (cushion pattern??) to be distracting elements to the photo. Perhaps metering for the outside light and using a fill flash to compensate for the dog would work better.

Shot 2 - Absolutely beautiful shot. The eye is sharp, captures the attention of the viewer, the depth of field is wonderful, just the way I would have shot it. Love the composition!!

Shot 3 - A nice shot, but I might have considered shooting in the landscape orientation instead of portrait, as the orientation leaves a LOT of negative space in the upper half of the frame.

Shot 4 - I have to respectfully disagree with cnyram - I believe the darkness I'm seeing is from a vignette being applied to the image, not from the image needing a fill flash. I'd suggest removing the vignette, perhaps using a CPL filter to bring down the brightness in the top portion of the image. Nice shot, and I like the composition.

kayte

thank you guys, your input helps a lot. I've been feeling like I've needed some fresh eyes help get me 'back on track' as to the quality of my work and reading your thoughts on these shots is very helpful.

fotojack

Eerily enough, I totally agree with EofI's assessment of all 4 shots. I also understand what cynram was getting at, too. Just differences of opinion on use of a flash in this instance.

Joseph Bautsch

Overall the B&W shots are mostly backlighted and detracts from the subject. The eye is always drawn first to the brightest part of the shot. Backlighting puts your subjects in a shadow and detail is lost and the eye wants to move elsewhere. All three B&W shots could have benefitted from a fill flash. Or the other option would be to compensate more for the shadow. I agree with EOI, the #2 shot of the little one is a good one. And lose the vignetting.