Movie settings

joseph.lestingi

Hi,
I would like to take movies with my D3200. I noticed the file produced is a .mov file. Is it possible to specify another format, mp4? After I start recording is there a time limit for the file? If yes, can I change it? Thank you.
Joe

BackdoorArts

No - you can only record as a .mov. Quicktime will allow you to export it for use with an iPhone/iPad (.m4v) file. Otherwise you will need software to perform the conversion.

WayneF

Hi,
I would like to take movies with my D3200. I noticed the file produced is a .mov file. Is it possible to specify another format, mp4? After I start recording is there a time limit for the file? If yes, can I change it? Thank you.
Joe

Right, you will have to use other software to convert to other than .mov file format.

Page 90 of the D3200 Reference manual says 20 minutes is the longest file. You can have multiple files (each time you stop and restart), which you edit and join in external software (Cyberlink PowerDirector for example). There are possibly still time limits however. I hope I remember this right, but .mov files are 32 bits internally, which limits them to 30 minutes anyway. But other file types are 64 bits internally, and can be much longer.