Photoshoot ratio...

AmandaGearSolid

I've done a couple of actual photoshoots in my day (meaning ones that were planned and not ones that just sort of happened because you had your camera on you and a friend that wants to be a model). The ones from high school were probably the worst. I liked them...but I'd get home, upload the 50+ photos from the day and realize that I only had 8 worthy shots.

Years and some experience later, even if I take 80 pictures during a shoot, I'm usually only satisfied with about 13-16 of them.

I was wondering if this is a somewhat normal ratio for photographers?

I will say that some of that is my "one more time" method of shooting. Even when I get a shot that I think is absolutely perfect in every way, I usually snap it one or two more times just for good measure so a lot of my unused shots are those.

Juuust wondering how it is for other photographers. :)

fotojack

Yup, that's pretty much the norm, Amanda. Take as many shots as necessary, then discard the ones you don't like. Perfectly normal. I remember taking over 200 shots at a motorcycle race last year, and ended up keeping about 60 of them. That's the nice thing about digital. :)

Browncoat

We've discussed this before in another thread as well. Yes, it's perfectly normal for "keepers" to be 10-15% of the total shots you make.