Pixel MB-D12 Grip

Val@wfny

I have a Pixel MB-D12 grip. I have had it for a year and a half, using it on my D800. So far it has been working well, and I have no complaints. The only problem I have noticed though, is sometimes when I try to view pictures on my card in the camera, either no picture is displayed, or it appears briefly then disappears. This does not happen all the time, sometimes it is weeks or more before it does it. I honestly don't know if it is a problem with the camera or the grip. The other day it was doing this constantly, I could not review a photo. I took the grip off the camera, and it stopped doing it. I was able to review photos. The grip battery was fully charged, as was the battery in the camera. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar problem with their camera, or battery grip if they have one. Again, I am not sure if it is a camera related issue or problem with this grip. I have searched on google, but have had no luck as of yet. Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

Fortkentdad

First - I'm no expert, or even that knowledgeable about camera electronics but if the problem disappeared when the grip was removed that sounds like the clincher. The "why does it do that" is a mute point. Problem with intermittent issues is proving them to the seller if you try to get a refund.

I'd shoot for a while without the grip - if the problem does not recur then I'd jump to the conclusion you have a faulty grip with a very intermittent electrical issue. I would not risk damage to a D800 for the price of a new grip.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have a Pixel MB-D12 grip. I have had it for a year and a half, using it on my D800. So far it has been working well, and I have no complaints. The only problem I have noticed though, is sometimes when I try to view pictures on my card in the camera, either no picture is displayed, or it appears briefly then disappears. This does not happen all the time, sometimes it is weeks or more before it does it. I honestly don't know if it is a problem with the camera or the grip. The other day it was doing this constantly, I could not review a photo. I took the grip off the camera, and it stopped doing it. I was able to review photos. The grip battery was fully charged, as was the battery in the camera. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar problem with their camera, or battery grip if they have one. Again, I am not sure if it is a camera related issue or problem with this grip. I have searched on google, but have had no luck as of yet. Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

Just like any other battery grip, with the constant removal and installing of the battery grip will result in electrical contact degradation and could potentially cause an electronic malfunction.

Like what FKD suggested, try shooting without the grip to localize the possible culprit.