Newbie from Vermont agonizing over purchasing a D700 or a D3X

Vermontster

I joined to get information from real users of Nikon cameras and equipment. I am D90 user that is agonizing over purchasing a D700 or a D3X. I am far from a pro and would prefer to pay $2500 +/- than $5500+/-; however I would hate to short change my self if the D3X was "significantly" superior. Reading some of the opinions on this site seems to tell me the the D700 has as good of picture quality (with the right glass) as the D3X. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris

Curt

Both cameras are fantastic, but you have to remember if you already have a D90 and a fair amount of glass( DX formant).
It will become costly, as both the D700 & D3X are FX formant. Which means going out and buying new glass.

ohkphoto

Snow White
as both the D700 & D3X are FX formant. Which means going out and buying new glass.

And that is the biggest point to consider. Take an inventory or your lenses. You may want to consider investing in good glass first (if you haven't done so) and then upgrading the body.

You might also check and post on the camera specific threads. How much do you use the pop-up flash or off camera flash (using the pop-up flash in commander mode)? The D3 series does not have a pop-up flash whereas the D700 does. One of many points to consider.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
From what I've read, there is not that much IQ difference between the 2 models mentioned. There is higher ISO with the D3X, but to around 6400, they apparently produce beautiful digital files.
If you don't need the 10 fps, you might be better getting the D700 and a great lens rather than the D3x and cheaper glass.
I recently got the D700 and am very impressed with the results I'm getting.
Welcome to the forum and please let us know of your decision and share your pictures with us.

Marcel

Vermontster

Extremely helpful feedback. Thanks Marcel. I am going to buy the D700 and use the extra couple grand for decent glass. Are the pictures you have posted taken from the D700? They are quite sharp.

Thanks again,

Chris a.k.a. Vermontster

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Chris, some of my pictures in my gallery are from the D700, some D7000 and the mallorca album is from the D90. I just got the D700 last week so some of the more recent shot were made with it. I'm still using the D7000 for telephoto shots though.
I'll probably sell either the 7000 or the 90 but not sure which one I will keep for now.
Marcel

Scottgilbert

If it's high iso then you want a D3s. I sold both my D700 and D3 for the D3s when it was first released, I think the price sits between the d700 and D3. I also would not worry too much about new glass as you can just switch the cameras to auto DX format, and maintain the focal length you are used to. Then over time buy some ff lenses :)

johnwartjr

The D3x and D700, while both FX sensor cameras, are not exactly comparing apples to apples.

D3x has megapixels, D700 has low light performance.

In many studies, the D700 has outperformed the D3x in every aspect *but* megapixels

I do like how the D3x has dual CF slots.

I wouldn't mind having a D3x, but for nearly the same money I'd spend on a D3x, I picked up my D700, 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 zooms.

Vermontster

No more agonizing whether to pick up a D700 or D3. I purchased the D700 yesterday. I kept my D90 as a backup (and I have quite a bit of DX glass). Had to order a 24mm-70mm 2.8, hopefully will arrive by Tuesday. After I have put the camera to the test and spend some time learning the Nikonites site, I'll report back.

Thanks to all of you that gave me some great feedback. This may sound odd, but the experience was similar to buying a car.

Curt

Well I guess if you are a camera nut, you will use it as much as your car, so it only stands to reason it would seem as important...lol. Good luck with the D700 great camera (welcome to the FX world).

Vermontster

I have been using a 50mm on the D90 for a while (actually more like a 75mm). I had to back up for all my non-portrait shots. The 50mm looks great in the D700, just like a 50mm should.

Vermontster

I would try to rent both and see what you like
They are so different

Good morning MaxC, I choose to go with the D700. I received a lot of positive input from the folks here on Nikonites, and felt I made an educated decision. I have been very happy with the D700!