Ready for my next lens!

GiggityGabe

Hello all,

I am a newbie/hobbyist and I currently own the D3200 w/ 18-55mm AF-S NIKKOR 3.5-5.6G VR

I am looking for a long distance / up close lens.

I have a budget of about $300 +-

I heard that the 55-300mm was a good telephoto lens but have also heard arguments online that the 70mm-300mm lens was better.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Moab Man

70-300mm is a better lens. However, the 55-300mm is a great lens that is more affordable. IMO, get the best you can afford.

Lawrence

I have the 70-300mm and rate it very highly but cannot comment on the 55 - 300.
I think the greater the variance in zoom the softer the lens is likely to be but … I am by no means an expert.
Seems like either one will do just fine.

RON_RIP

If you go refurbished you may be able to get more lens for the money than new. Either of those 2 lenses will serve you well and,yes, get the best one you can afford. There are threads on both lenses on this site so that you can evaluate real photos taken with each lens. So do your homework and then, when your ready check out Cameta Camera. They give a longer warranty on their refurbished lenses than most other retailers.

GiggityGabe

If you go refurbished you may be able to get more lens for the money than new. Either of those 2 lenses will serve you well and,yes, get the best one you can afford. There are threads on both lenses on this site so that you can evaluate real photos taken with each lens. So do your homework and then, when your ready check out Cameta Camera. They give a longer warranty on their refurbished lenses than most other retailers.

Thank you for your opinion!

But I think i'd rather buy new. I'd rather spend a little more money on a new lens and be the first owner!