Nikkor af 28mm f/2.8 lens question

Bill16

I was wondering if anybody had anything good to say about this lens? I know it's not a top notch lens, but I am hoping it will be a decent lens for me but also work decent on a fx Nikon whenever I manage to get one. Lol :)

So have any of you tried out this lens, and what did you think of it?

Attachments

• _DSC1172_zps5c342e0f.jpg
    _DSC1172_zps5c342e0f.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 227

480sparky

It's not as cracked up as Nikon makes it out to be.

Of all my glass, this lens is the softest... Especially in the corners.

If you do get one, get the D version (the one shown is not a D!) to at least make speedlight imaging better.

Bill16

Too late. Well so it goes sometimes. :(

It's not as cracked up as Nikon makes it out to be.

Of all my glass, this lens is the softest... Especially in the corners.

If you do get one, get the D version (the one shown is not a D!) to at least make speedlight imaging better.

STM

I can't vouch for this particular variant but my 28mm f/2.8 AIS is so sharp I have to handle it with leather gloves. It is the sharpest wide angle I own and I have them from 16mm f/2.8 fisheye to 35mm f/2.8

DraganDL

"can't vouch for this particular variant but my 28mm f/2.8 AIS is so sharp I have to handle it with leather gloves."

STM: that's a completely different story - the lens purchased by Bill16 is a NEW variant (unlike the old AiS, this AF, although without a "D" mark is chipped, has AF and the aperture info needed for light metering with cheaper bodies). It is a good lens - maybe a little more softer in the corners at full aperture, but it's good nevertheless.
Like Sparky stated, the "D" variant has the same optics, with the addition of "distance info", needed for flash(es) to work in (i)TTL mode...

look at this:
http://goo.gl/WHiQzz

Last edited:

aroy

Yes, the older AIS version was the best and the sharpest 28mm Nikon produced. It is still in production. The latter versions are new formula, but as noted soft. Not worth buying at all.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I was wondering if anybody had anything good to say about this lens? I know it's not a top notch lens, but I am hoping it will be a decent lens for me but also work decent on a fx Nikon whenever I manage to get one. Lol :)

So have any of you tried out this lens, and what did you think of it?

Bill congrats on our lens acquisition. I don't have that particular model lens but I have the Nikon 28mm f1.8G which is a great lens and has a very pleasing bokeh if you are shooting close-up subjects. I also have the 28mm f3.5 Ai which is what I use for IR photography.

Nikon 28mm f1.8G

Nikon 28mm f18G.jpg

Bill16

Thanks buddy, I hope this lens will turn out to be worth while. It was all I could afford . :)

Bill congrats on our lens acquisition. I don't have that particular model lens but I have the Nikon 28mm f1.8G which is a great lens and has a very pleasing bokeh if you are shooting close-up subjects. I also have the 28mm f3.5 Ai which is what I use for IR photography.

Nikon 28mm f1.8G

View attachment 97076