teleconverter advice

Kenh

Need advice please: Looking for a nikon teleconverter for a
D5300 cam, the lens is a Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 ED VR ll
I am looking at the TC-17E ll , the 14E does not look like a
big enough gain, right ?
1. is the TC-17E ll compatible with the camera and lens
2. you lose 1-1/2 f stops of light from 2.8 to f/4.8
3. you gain 1.7x in focal length to 340mm (from 200)
4. any sharpness issues ?
Want use it for birding photos, please PROS and CONS
thanks Kenh

480sparky

TCs always decrease IQ. And the higher-power TCs usually cause more IQ degradation.

I have both the 1.4 and 1.7 Nikkor TCs, and use both on the 70-200. I wouldn't normally recommend such a combo for birding unless you can physically get very close to the critters. 340mm may sound like 'a lot', but it won't seem that way in the field.

WayneF

Need advice please: Looking for a nikon teleconverter for a
D5300 cam, the lens is a Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 ED VR ll
I am looking at the TC-17E ll , the 14E does not look like a
big enough gain, right ?
1. is the TC-17E ll compatible with the camera and lens
2. you lose 1-1/2 f stops of light from 2.8 to f/4.8
3. you gain 1.7x in focal length to 340mm (from 200)
4. any sharpness issues ?
Want use it for birding photos, please PROS and CONS
thanks Kenh

Other brand teleconverters are (less specifically) designed to work on any lens, but Nikon TC are very specific.

Here is Nikons TC compatibility list.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en_INC/IMG...eleconverter-Compatibility/EN_Comp_chart.html

Read the bold text at top of page.

Yes, you will want to stop down some, at least f/8, for better sharpness. Bright sun will be better.

STM

TCs always decrease IQ. And the higher-power TCs usually cause more IQ degradation.

I have both the 1.4 and 1.7 Nikkor TCs, and use both on the 70-200. I wouldn't normally recommend such a combo for birding unless you can physically get very close to the critters. 340mm may sound like 'a lot', but it won't seem that way in the field.

Although this is generally true, Nikon's TC's are of a superior quality and in most applications, will not degrade image quality all that noticeably. I use my TC-300 with my 600mm f/4 AIS quite frequently and have always been satisfied with the results. If there is a loss of sharpness with it, it is my fault and not the lens/TC combo.

480sparky

Although this is generally true, Nikon's TC's are of a superior quality and in most applications, will not degrade image quality all that noticeably. I use my TC-300 with my 600mm f/4 AIS quite frequently and have always been satisfied with the results. If there is a loss of sharpness with it, it is my fault and not the lens/TC combo.

I have heard anecdotal stories that the 1.4 TC is designed specifically for the 400mm, the 1.7 for the 70-200, and the 2.0 for the 300mm.

Other brand teleconverters are (less specifically) designed to work on any lens, but Nikon TC are very specific.

Here is Nikons TC compatibility list.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en_INC/IMG...eleconverter-Compatibility/EN_Comp_chart.html

Read the bold text at top of page.

Yes, you will want to stop down some, at least f/8, for better sharpness. Bright sun will be better.

Thank you for that link! I love this forum. You guys are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STM

I have heard anecdotal stories that the 1.4 TC is designed specifically for the 400mm, the 1.7 for the 70-200, and the 2.0 for the 300mm.

Actually I believe that it was the TC-14A/B was originally designed for the 300mm f/2.8 but can be used with any Nikkor. The TC-300/301 must be used for 300mm and longer because the front elements stick out about 1 1/4" from the front and would contact the rear elements of any shorter lens, preventing mounting.