Micro Nikkor 105mm - Use VRfor macro or not?

Ray

I have just got one of these and am thinking there is little point in using VR for macro shots.

I mostly take macro in the garden and out in the field, I handhold, I'm just a hobbyist and the moment don't tend to take a tripod, but like to use the closest in focus distance possible. Whether usual manual focus, or fixing the focus and gently moving in and out, or using auto focus, the moment of being in focus is very short so there isn't time to let the VR settle. In fact using it seems to make more shots out of focus than in focus.

So does it make to leave VR switched off?

BackdoorArts

If something doesn't work for you, don't use it. I find I need VR when shooting macro, with VR stabilizing the camera while I focus (shutter button down halfway even when focusing manually).

Ironwood

I have this lens, I much prefer to turn VR off, and use manual focus when using it for handheld macro shots.

When I first got the lens I was using it with the VR turned on, it seemed to make it hard to judge when the object was in focus when looking through the viewfinder, I found I was missing a lot of insect shots.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have just got one of these and am thinking there is little point in using VR for macro shots.

I mostly take macro in the garden and out in the field, I handhold, I'm just a hobbyist and the moment don't tend to take a tripod, but like to use the closest in focus distance possible. Whether usual manual focus, or fixing the focus and gently moving in and out, or using auto focus, the moment of being in focus is very short so there isn't time to let the VR settle. In fact using it seems to make more shots out of focus than in focus.

So does it make to leave VR switched off?

The more you practice the better you become. Tripod is a must for me since I know without a doubt that I'll get a sharper image compared to hand holding it. Some can get away without using a tripod.

Feel free to experiment to use vr or not and ho with what works best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick M

Depends how close you get. I used it a lot when handheld from a distance. Anything really up close it was off and had to be on a tripod. When I shot up close handheld it was very difficult to get good results.

aroy

At close distances I find the AF wavers a lot, especially if there is not much contrast. I have found that manual focus works much better. If you find that VR is messing up shots, then switch it off. If you think that hand shake will spoil your shot, use the inbuilt flash to "freeze" it. I use the flash a lot for close ups and get sharp shots. In fact people who shoot rapidly moving objects - humming birds, insects and butterflies in flight use powerful flash to stop action.

WayneF

VR will help stabilize camera shake. Also speedlight flash can freeze any motion. But both only help sideways motion. Neither will preserve focus if swaying in and out in that direction...

So a tripod is very desirable.