D7000 Lenses

azurian

Hi everyone. I hope some of you may be able to help me with this (probably) dumb question.

Hi have been the happy owner of a D3000, but I think it is time to upgrade to a D7000. This will be a large expense for me, so I would like (at least to start with) to use my D3000 lenses. I have a standard kit lens and a 55-300 ED VR. Will these work OK with a D7000?

Thank you.

JoeLewisPhotography

Re: Lenses

Yes, they will work. All DX "cropped sensor" cameras (anything from a D40 up to a D300s) are the same mount and all lenses are interchangeable.....D700 & D3 are FX or "full frame" camera's and though they have the same "mount", they are a whole different story.

And no question is "dumb". Ask away. That is what we are all here for!

Also, welcome to the site!

Last edited:

fotojack

Welcome, azurian, to Nikonites. We hope you find your time here productive and well spent. As Joe said, ask any question you like. The only dumb question is the one not asked. :)

Jon

Hello Joe, you mentioned about "mount" and interchangeablility. I have a Sigma Macro lens that I used in my old SLR. Are there adapters to make lens with different "mounts" so that it can be used in Nikon D7000. If there is, would this caused any problems? Thanks.

Curt

Going from a D3000 to the D7000 is some jump :). You will be very happy with the up grade. Good luck with the new camera. Let us know how you like it. The D7000 has so many features you won't find on your D3000. You will be like a kid in a candy shop...lol.

JoeLewisPhotography

Hello Joe, you mentioned about "mount" and interchangeablility. I have a Sigma Macro lens that I used in my old SLR. Are there adapters to make lens with different "mounts" so that it can be used in Nikon D7000. If there is, would this caused any problems? Thanks.

If that sigma is a Nikon F-mount, then it will work. Nikon has had the same mount for many, many years. as for different brand mounts to nikon, there are adapters out there, But I am unfamiliar with those, and cannot recommend anything in that area.

Ranie

Hi everyone. I hope some of you may be able to help me with this (probably) dumb question.

Hi have been the happy owner of a D3000, but I think it is time to upgrade to a D7000. This will be a large expense for me, so I would like (at least to start with) to use my D3000 lenses. I have a standard kit lens and a 55-300 ED VR. Will these work OK with a D7000?

Thank you.
Will you be buying the D7000 body only? Or a kit. The kit lens of the D7000 is a very good lens.

azurian

Hi everyone.

Picked up my new D7000 the day before yesterday and went out on my first shoot yesterday. I've had great fun with the manual and YouTube tutorial videos, and I've really enjoyed trying out many of the new features.

I have to say though, that so far the image quality does not seem much better than my trusty D3000, but that may be because I still have to get used to the new model. (I wasn't too happy with the D3000 when I first got it, but my images steadily go better.)

I bought the body only, and I'm using the 18-55mm kit lens from my D3000 and a Nikkor 55-300mm.

I think, I maybe have to get used to holding the camera a bit more steadily.

I'll let you know how I get on.

JoeLewisPhotography

The image quality is most likely remaining the same, or close to it because you are using the same lenses you used on the D3000. The lenses produce the quality, not so much the camera. Camera bodies basically come with more features, larger MP etc. If you bought the D7000 kit, the lens it came with is a better piece of glass than the 2 you currently have, therefore your images would be better quality.

It could also be because of some settings you are using. the best bet is to post some of your recent D7000 shots in the critique section and folks here will tell you what is right and what is wrong, examine the EXIF data and tell you which settings you used or didn't use.

Mikeydigs

I have the D7000 and I have been using the 18-55 vr kit lens, and the 55-200 vr , Im interested in comments on these lenses I also have the 35mm1.8 af and the pro 70-200 vr 2.8 I like the light weight aspect lenses that I keep in my bag, I dont care for the heavy weights or carrying too much in my camera bag I also like the carry around lens concept Im interested in comments

fotojack

You're doing good, bud. All good lenses. Maybe add the 55-300 VR lens for distance, and a small wide angle lens for interiors and landscapes. Other than that, I don't see a problem with what you got goin' now.

azurian

Hi everyone.
Well, after my somewhat disappointing first day with my new D7000, I have to say that I have now fallen in love with it! The problems were. I think, of my own making and now I have started to learn how to use the autofocus properly, I am really enjoying the camera. I love all the extra features (compared to my D3000), but especially the ability to shoot at a higher ISO, thus reducing camera shake.

I'm really grateful for all the advice and support so generously offered. If anyone has a spare moment, maybe you'd care to take a look at my photostream on Flickr. It includes EXIF info and any advice or comments would be gratefully received
Flickr: Azurian Vista's Photostream.

azurian

Thanks Patrick. The Chaffinch was heavily cropped which I think shows the quality of this camera and the lens - in this case the Nikkor 55-300mm ED VR.

I am now really happy with this camera and the results I am starting to produce with it.

Last edited by a moderator: