Remote flash on D5300

asamay81

Hello everyone,
Please forgive me if my post is in a wrong section.
I would like to buy the SB 700 speed-light for my D5300 camera.
Is it possible to use this flashgun off my camera through a wireless transmitter on the hot shoe of my camera? If yes, then which one should I purchase?
I searched a lot in Google about this topic but have been unable to resolve the issue.
I'll really appreciate your help in this matter.

WayneF

It is slightly more complicated than that. :)

Any inexpensive radio trigger (includes transmitter on camera hot shoe, and receiver on the remote flash foot) will do this (trigger a remote flash). However, in the vast majority of trigger brands (only excepting a few high dollar brands), this will always be Manual flash mode. No TTL automation.

The SU-800, or even the SB-700 flash, includes a Nikon commander, and (from the hot shoe) it can control certain flashes (those with this capability) by optical signals (the commander flashes commands to the remote flashes which understand them). Certainly this includes the SB-700. This can then be TTL flash mode, or manual flash mode. It can even be a couple of remote TTL flashes. Downside is the optical control is line of sight, the range of control is shorter, less useful outdoors in sun, and obstacles block the light, etc.

But the big issue is that the cameras without a commander (D5300), are also without the FV Lock feature, which is a way to trigger the commander preflashes early without causing severe blinking in the pictures of humans.
IMO, the money for adding the SU-800 is better spent on upgrading to a camera with commander and the FV Lock feature.

Another way to trigger a remote manual mode flash is a simple optical slave (like the SB-700 SU-4 mode - you already have everything needed to do this). Then they can be triggered in sync with any other manual mode flash (like for example, the camera internal flash at lowest power level) - simply by the flash of that triggering manual flash.

Just set remote SB-700 to SU-4 mode, and set its manual power level for your exposure.

Set the internal flash to manual mode and use it. It can be set to quite low power to not really affect your picture. Or, it can be used for a fill flash.

Last edited:

Englischdude

I am a believer of leaving the TLL and only shooting in manual. I have had many cases when shooting in tll, that even a minor change in ambient lighting has produced visible changes in the exposure (due to the tll adjusting the flash output power). I use the el-cheapo Yongnuo 603 triggers and am very happy.

asamay81

Thank you all for your kind replies. I shall continue with the D5300 + SB700 combination for a couple of months to practice the flash photography and then upgrade to one of the models with commander capability.

Thank you again....:)

skene

It is slightly more complicated than that. :)

You're right... however I was not thinking about people that would actually want to shoot in TTL mode with a remote flash. Usually someone that wants to shoot with remote already should have a basic understanding of how to properly light a subject and want to take full control of positioning lighting around to create effects and know how to use a flash in manual... Silly me.