Hi everyone!!

Ana

Hi everyone. Newbie here from Adelaide, Australia.
I don't own a Nikon yet, however am looking for one. Was wondering as I'm a newbie moving up from a compact camera if I should get the D3300.
I want to be able to shoot my dog running and playing and have the shots turn out nice and clear.
Would eventually like to try more action photography however am very confused as where to start. I was originally going to start with the D7100 however think that may be too much for me to learn straight away and wondered if the d3300 would be a better place to start with a suitable lens for this type of photography.

pedroj

Hi Ana and welcome...The D3300 would be good, Get yourself a nice 50mm AF-S G lens and you'll be able to capyure your dog running..

Daniel Aegerter

Hi and welcome.
I started out with the D3000 and upgraded to the D7100 some time later and find that to be a good thing.
If the D7100 is too much camera to start with really depends on your experience with DSLR's.

aroy

Welcome to the forum. D3300 with AF-S 50mm 1.8G or 35mm 1.8G DX is excellent combination for fast action. Do get the kit lense, it is simply fantastic in good light.

Pretzel

Welcome!

My thoughts on D3300 vs. D7100... if it's not budget holding you back, start with the D7100. There's really not that much more of a learning curve, but it has the features to satisfy deeper learning later. If it does boil down to budget, though, the D3300 is gonna give you some great shots too! I started out on the D3100 myself.

It's really not a difference between the cameras you mentioned that will make shooting actions shots of your pooch better or worse, but rather knowing what settings to use, and that's just gonna come with the commitment to learn.

Can't wait to see some pics when ya do pick one!

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Howdy and welcome! I started out with a D5100 and regret not buying the D7100 first. For example, if you decide after 6 months that you'd like to upgrade, you won't get much for your old camera. Then, you're stuck with a D3300. On the other hand, if you buy a D7100 or a full frame D610, you will save yourself a lot of buying camera bodies to have one that does all you want it too.

A D610 is a consumer full frame camera body that shoots at 24 mp's. It has 2 card slots, like the D7100, and has 39 focus points vs. the 51 for a D7100. The D7100 is not a full frame body but you have a built in motor for using old lenses that don't have the motors built in. The D610 is more for photographers that aspire to go semi or pro eventually. You can shoot with FX lenses, or DX with either, but the D610 will significantly reduce your megapixel count when using a DX lens (cropped sensor).

A cropped sensor, like on the 3300 up to the 7100 is a smaller sensor than the 610 or 800(e), which are larger full frame bodies.

My overall recommendation (and I'm no pro), is to buy what you can afford as you will, if you love photography, grow into any of the models I mentioned. I love my D7100 and it isn't that difficult to use, and I love my D610. I highly recommend you buy a good book for the model you choose. I read David Busch's guide to the D5100, and his book on the D7100. Both taught me what to expect from the cameras and teach you the menus, etc.

In the long run, any great or good photographer will tell you that it's what's between your ears that will make you a good photographer. I agree with that, and hope I didn't confuse you too much. I am just trying to save you some money by buying a very good camera from the beginning, eliminating the need to upgrade real soon.

Deezey

Buy the best gear that you can afford. While the D7100 is a lot of camera, no one ever said you have to learn everything it can do. Start slow. Get the basics down first, get comfortable with the layout. Get the exposure triangle down pat. Then as your confidence grows, delve deeper into your photography.

You will find that you will gravitate towards certain forms of photography. So you will find yourself not using a lot of your new cameras settings.

Blacktop

If your budget allows it, get the D7100. You will eventually upgrade anyway, so might as well just get it over with now.:)

Last edited:

john*thomas

I got my D7100 for basically two reasons. The internal drive for the lens and the claimed better built body. If it's just the learning curve the D7100 really isn't all that much more complicated.

I say claimed on the body because I haven't dropped it yet to form an opinion. LOL.

wornish

welcome.gif

donaldjledet

Yes D7100 is where I started. Had it one year and still learning how to use it right.
No regrets on starting with that camera.I just keep shooting and ask questions
on what i did right or wrong.Great group of people here to learn from.
Also be patience. And keep moving forward.

aroy

I still think that the D3300 is perfect camera for those starting with DSLR. Once you are comfortable with the DSLR type of shooting you can then think of upgrading. There are two paths.
1. D7100 is you are onto sports and shooting with long telephotos. The DX sensor will give a distinct advantage in "reach" and burst speed.
2. D610/D800 if you are gravitating towards landscape, portraits and low light photography. Here the wider sensor is a bonus for landscapes, as a good relatively inexpensive wide lense will be wide and you do not need ultra wide lense. Lower noise is a bonus in all types of photography, but vital for low light shots.

If you get an expensive DX body initially, you will take a big hit if you want to change to FX body. Same is the case with FX body. So, get the cheapest and the best body initially, discover your style and type of photography and then ungrade.

Englischdude

hi ana, welcome to the site first of all. I have to suggest go with the D3300 first. the learning curve, if you are serious, is steep and the D3300 is not going to be too daunting for you. In addition, the D3300 has many features which explain what everything does thus making it a little easier for a newcommer. Believe me, it is going to be a long while before you outlive and outperform your D3300, by that time you will be ready to move up to the D7x00 or whatever is new and available at that time, or maybe even full frame.

Whatever you get, read the manual and check out if there are any courses you can do at a local college or something. Joining a local photog club will also provide you with resources to make the entrance into the DSLR world alot easier. All this is of course assuming, that you want to buy a DSLR and use it as a DSLR, rather than just setting it to automatic and using it as a point and squirt!

Most importantly..... have fun ;)

mathom33

I have the D7100 paired with a Sigma 18-250. It's not the fastest lens, but with my budget and what I use the camera for it was what I considered to be the best option. I'm sure others will tell you to consider the 70-200 f2.8.

Here are some examples of my Jack Russell's playing (taken with the sigma).
uqa7yta8.jpg
u9yduzym.jpg
aqagevum.jpg
8y7yrebu.jpg