Battery Grip

SacrificeTheory

So I'm playing with the idea of maybe getting a battery grip. The Nikon BG is ridiculously expense for what it is, so I was thinking of going third-party. I am very cautious though. I attach my camera normally to my BlackRapid while shooting. With a heavy lens, I don't want the battery grip to snap off and causing everything to fall and break. Does anyone have any experience with a good battery grip that you can trust that will never break off?

FastGlass

The grip I use with my D90 is a Nikon grip. No chance at all with it breaking off as there is a bolt that essentially goes through the grip into the camera body. Only chance of it coming off is if it loosens. When that happens the camera goes dead before it gets that far.

STM

Nikon grips are made primarily of metal. The third party knock offs are pretty much all plasitc. And although I cannot recall which, many have reported problems with their operation.

Horoscope Fish

I'm not normally one to blather on about Genuine Nikon Parts and all that crap, but I've had third-party grips and I now have the outrageously over-priced Nikon OEM version on my D7100. Take my advice: SUCK. IT. UP. Just get the Nikon version.

Yes, there *will* be pain. Yes, you will grit your teeth and probably cuss. But the pain will fade.

Steve B

I have Nikon grips on my D7100 and D800. Personally I stick with OEM parts when available. Even batteries. If you spend that amount of money on the cameras and lenses why take the risk to save a few bucks on accessories?

singlerosa_RIP

I used a Nikon grip on my D100 for 8 years with no issues, have a Nikon grip on my D7000 and it's been a POS (back once for repair - rubber coming unglued, and still has issues), so I bought a Pixel grip for my D600 15 months ago and it's been fine. I rarely use a strap and when I do, it's a removable Tamrac, not a screw-in type. If you're worried, spend the extra bucks and get the Nikon. You have over $10K in camera gear. What's another $300?

dragion

So I'm playing with the idea of maybe getting a battery grip. The Nikon BG is ridiculously expense for what it is, so I was thinking of going third-party. I am very cautious though. I attach my camera normally to my BlackRapid while shooting. With a heavy lens, I don't want the battery grip to snap off and causing everything to fall and break. Does anyone have any experience with a good battery grip that you can trust that will never break off?

Never say never...;)

I'm going against the grain and telling you to go 3rd party....

I have the *Meike/Neewer battery grip on my D7000 and I have no problems.
Yes, the OEM Nikon grip is made of magnesium... a very little bit, but the rest is plastic.

With the grip attached to the camera, you will be hard to find a difference...unless you compare it side by side and knit pick.
Function wise, they are the same.

I have the CarrySpeed Pro strap and no issues...very similiar to BlackRapid.
The base of the grip has a metal plate inside...it can be seen with the batteries taken out.

This is my recommendation and $.02.

*based on only Meike/Neewer brand

carguy

I looked into the same thing not too long ago. Based on the input here on this forum as well as many other sources, if you use the tripod mount for a strap, I would avoid the third party grips.

The reason why I don't have one yet, when I feel I really need one, I'll pop for the OEM version personally.

dragion

I looked into the same thing not too long ago. Based on the input here on this forum as well as many other sources, if you use the tripod mount for a strap, I would avoid the third party grips.

The reason why I don't have one yet, when I feel I really need one, I'll pop for the OEM version personally.

As I mentioned before, I've used Meike grips on both my D3100 & D7000 with the CarrySpeed and haven't experienced any issues for 3 years.
I'm also using the strap on my Sony A6000, but that's another story.

zutty

What I did was buy a BosStrap BosTailwhich is an adapter that allows you to use your strap attached to the side. It was a no brainer for me and it also allows you to keep your tripod plate on your camera. Here is the item on B&H's site:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/834831-REG/BosStrap_BOST_Bostail_Black.html
In regard to the grip, I agree that although the Nikon grips are outrageously priced, I bought them for both my D7100 and D800. I just feel safer having it when it's supporting that kind of investment.

Last edited:

Fortkentdad

I've also considered a grip for my D610 and while I have a few thousand wrapped up in the camera I am not prepared to pay $349 for a grip. I have looked on line and read reviews on the third party ones and there seems to be very acceptable third party versions, some sold by major retailers who do back up their product line. There are really really cheap knock offs, I'm not talking about the $19 special.

But I have not pulled the trigger on any one yet so no comment on experience but I don't think that just because we pay top dollar for some things we need to pay top dollar for everything (indeed because we pay top dollar for somethings we can't afford to pay top dollar for everything).

I think my biggest hold back so far is that I've not found the need for the extra battery life. I carry a second charged battery and so far on a days shoot (up to about 800 pics) I've not needed to swap it out to continue the days picture taking. And how long does it take to pop that second battery in? One minute?

Last edited:

Steve B

I've also considered a grip for my D610 and while I have a few thousand wrapped up in the camera I am not prepared to pay $349 for a grip. I have looked on line and read reviews on the third party ones and there seems to be very acceptable third party versions, some sold by major retailers who do back up their product line. There are really really cheap knock offs, I'm not talking about the $19 special.

But I have not pulled the trigger on any one yet so no comment on experience but I don't think that just because we pay top dollar for some things we need to pay top dollar for everything (indeed because we pay top dollar for somethings we can't afford to pay top dollar for everything).

I think my biggest hold back so far is that I've not found the need for the extra battery life. I carry a second charged battery and so far on a days shoot (up to about 800 pics) I've not needed to swap it out to continue the days picture taking.

I can't say my main reason for using grips is for the extra battery capacity. I use them since I find them more comfortable to use especially when switching between landscape and portrait shooting a lot.

Horoscope Fish

I can't say my main reason for using grips is for the extra battery capacity. I use them since I find them more comfortable to use especially when switching between landscape and portrait shooting a lot.
And if you have big mitts for hands and use longer, heavier lenses with any regularity, a battery grip starts feeling almost essential once you've tried one.

Fortkentdad

Hmmm, and here I thought it was only about the battery life.

Never really considered it.

I do have concerns that the grip will mean the camera won't fit into my flash bracket and would be a very tight fight into my camera bag.

ShaggyRS6

I use a Nikon Battery Grip on my D800 and a Promaster 3rd Party on my D7100 - Although the Promaster is fine, it works, I have had no issues, it just feels cheap. The Nikon battery grip light years ahead in quality.

If you don't have the money the 3rd party will be ok. I would now only buy Nikon or not at all.