Eyecup for rear LCD screen

grandpaw

I am looking for something that will allow me to see the rear LCD screen out in the sunlight for shooting video. I would like it to be easily removed so I can take regular still shots also. I would also like it at a reasonable price.

STM

I was watching an episode of "Cry Wolfe", a new series and it was apparently being filmed with a Canon. The photographer had this thing that resembled a stiff hood like you see on many large format cameras on the Canon. They must be available commercially I am guessing but where I haven't a clue.

mikew_RIP

If all else fails i made my own for the screen on my 3D camera,it cost me £1 to make quick to fit and remove,if you cant find one to suit i will try to find my pictures of the prototype,i dont have the original item any more

mikew_RIP

Found a picture of my rough and ready prototype,built to check it worked and it did

P7270004-copy.jpg

Thumper_6119

Contributor

I ordered one of these for my D2Xs last year, and the second time that I flipped it open, it flew into pieces. I thought it looked like a great idea, and since it didn't cost much, I ordered it. I will say that when it disintegrated that I couldn't stop laughing. It was pretty comical the way it flew apart.

The D2Xs has a plastic cover that snaps on over the LCD, and these little hoods use the cover's snap on design (once the cover itself is removed).

Neat concept, but the design and build quality is a bit lacking.

MeSess

This looks like it would be just what I want except the $199.00 price tag. I would be willing to consider one in the $80.00 range if I knew it would give me what I want.

Yeah, the firmly attached options from any brand appear to be pretty costly but they are reviewed pretty positively so I guess you get what you pay for. I would personally rather pay extra than stick something to my camera using adhesive like some of the other models I found.

They look very flimsy as far as mounting is concern. I'm not sure if the OP is willing to shell out $80 for a product that might not work as expected.

The models that use the bands to mount do appear a bit flimsy but when I watched youtube videos of people reviewing it, it seemed to work just fine without any worry of it falling off. I'm more willing to go with hoodman because of the experience with the eyecup that I have from them.

Hiway

I have the Hoodman Cinema Pro kit. I bought the parts one at a time. I had the loupe and didn't like the bands. It stayed on but took to long to put on and take off. I wanted to switch from video to stills quickly when at Airshows. Doing that quickly was important. Also the bands would let the hood loupe slip sometimes. The crane is solid and makes it easy to move the loupe on and off the screen quickly.

Last edited: