Re: Fan Photographer, What Lens To Use?

uhl2st

Hi all, I just got a job as a fan photographer and was wondering which lens would be ideal for the job. I just got the D 3100 and want to make sure i buy the right lens. im looking for something under $300 if possible. Any help would be appreciated!

-Dan

Joseph Bautsch

uhl2st, I moved your post to a new thread. You will get more responses to your question. What lens did you get with the D3100? Fan photography should be casual and impromptu and you don't want to get so close to them that you attract their attention to what you are doing. My suggestion would be to use a zoom lens with as much reach as you can afford. Shooting Philadelphia Phillies fans, in daylight won't be a problem with a zoom. Most reasonably priced zooms will be fast enough to do that. Shooting at night games, lighting will be a problem without flash. The 18-105mm VR Nikkor should do the job. A 55-200mm would be better. You can get the 18-105mm VR for around $280. It will also work well with the SB400 or SB600 flash units.

PavementPilot

The D3100 handles high ISO real well. This should help with the night or low light shots, before having to go with a flash. I would try out your higher ISO settings with test shots at night and see if you like what you get.