Brand New, Straight Out of the Box Photographer

Marky M

I am a Brand New, Straight Out the Box Photographer - I was left some money by my grandfather, when he passed away and wanted to purchase something that would help me to develop in a way that would benefit me and my family. I chose to buy a Nikon D3100 and follow my interest of capturing moments in time. I hope to develop my portrait and action skills to allow me to capture my young children.

Here's the problem: I can switch it on and set the AUTO, but thats about it.

Where's the best place to start???

I tried reading about Aperture on Wiki pedia and my head was spinning by the second paragraph.

I believe in utilising other people knowledge, so what do you think??

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
This won't happen with a flash. Photography study takes time and practice. There are many how to books available, but they can only give you the basics. Practice, practice and time only will or won't make a photographer with a novice.
Welcome to this forum and read the forum's archives where you might find a lot of answers to your questions.

Marcel

theregsy

After reading books, getting confused and doing a lot of "what happens if I do this???" experimenting, I signed up to a local school doing evening classes "for the serious amateur" it was great a large group of photographers using a wide variety of cameras and all helping each other out. From Canons to Sony to Fuji Bridge and eventually to the old S2 pro (mine) we all mucked in and enjoyed it more like a club than a lesson.

Otherwise, head out with the camera, your manual and a notepad. Go somewhere that you like to shoot and try this, Set to manual, half press the shutter and the camera will tell you what settings it is using, take the shot (if you want) make a note of the settings and switch to manual mode, use the controls to set the camera to your notes, then take a shot or two, try altering the shutter speed and aperture take more shots, if you want make notes on what you are doing and do it logically so don't change the shutter and aperture together (well not at first) this will probably give you a feel for what will happen when you change a setting. The same can be said for trying things in the A or S modes, play and fiddle and see. Its all about learning but we all learn differently. I tend to get a bit drowsy when reading about the nitty gritty of aperture, especially when the author then wanders off into ISO film settings, odd emulsions and who invented what with whom and when.
I recently shot a blues festival it was a new experience, only 1 stage and indoor, this meant I had time to play and see what happened, although I was getting good shots with my camera and flash combination I wanted shots without the flash, there was no natural light in the place and the stage ligthing rig wasn't massive. Trying to take shots in 'Auto' with no flash just didn't work, so I started playing, i knew that to stop the action I would need a shutter of around 125th depending on what was happening on the stage, left the aperture as open as possible and started shooting, the first couple of shots were dark but sharp, I pushed the ISO up step by step and carried on shooting and it all came together at ISO 800, atmospheric, sharp shots with no flash. Very happy with myself that day. Play with the camera see what does what and keep going, it will all start to make sense, if you have a local amateur photo club go along and see what they are like, I have learned more from my short camera course and the occaional natter with a pro at an event than from straight book reading.

I hope you are still awake after reading that lot, trust me mate if I can do it anyone can, really. Hope it goes well for you :)

Of course forums with helpful nice posters are always good places too, like here :)

Joseph Bautsch

Marky M, sorry to hear abut your grandfather passing. First I would like to welcome you to the Nikonites Community. You have a good camera and learning to use it will take time. Setting the camera on Auto and start taking pictures is a good beginning. There are any number of books, internet videos and Utube clips that will be a lot of help. But don't pass up the users manual. The first several chapters of the manual will teach you the specifics of all the buttons and wheels of your camera. Learn where they are and what they do. Learn it until you can identify all the buttons and wheels with your eyes closed. Then start going into the other chapters one at a time and start learning all the camera functions. Nikon is very good about starting their manuals with the basics before moving into the more involved functions in latter chapters. When you have a question you can't find an answer to, bring it here. There are a number of experienced D3100 users here that can help. And above all have fun doing it and enjoy.

Ruidoso Bill

Can you check with your equivilant of a community college, they offer classes here that are not for credit but can be very helpful, continuing ed type. Also, in april I am teaching two courses here so stop on over to New Mexico.

I am a Brand New, Straight Out the Box Photographer - I was left some money by my grandfather, when he passed away and wanted to purchase something that would help me to develop in a way that would benefit me and my family. I chose to buy a Nikon D3100 and follow my interest of capturing moments in time. I hope to develop my portrait and action skills to allow me to capture my young children.

Here's the problem: I can switch it on and set the AUTO, but thats about it.

Where's the best place to start???

I tried reading about Aperture on Wiki pedia and my head was spinning by the second paragraph.

I believe in utilising other people knowledge, so what do you think??

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Rick M

I found it very helpful to print out the in depth manual you will find on a CD in the box. I printed it enlarged so each page fills the 81/2x11 paper and put it in a 3 ring binder. It's about 210 pages but was very handy to have printed instead of on my computer and at a size which could be read comfortably.

PavementPilot

Your camera comes with a guide mode for beginners. You can start there, but I would suggest reading a book by Byran Peterson, 'Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition'. It is a great book for explaining the exposure triangle, and the relationship and effect of changing ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture.

Marky M

Thanks Everyone for your advice.

I will start with getting to know my camera and it's functions (reading the manual), i will check out the local photgraphy courses, look into getting some books and most of all getting some time on the camera, experimenting.

KWJams

LOL, I was going to recommend Jeff's book as well. :)

I read my manual, bought every model specific book or CD on my D5000 that I could find and was still lost until I read Jeff's book. He explains things in a manner that doesn't over whelm you with stuff that you don't really need to think about until you advance beyond the basic's.

Sorry for your loss Marky, but you could not have found a better way to remember your grandfather.