Steve Urkel moment

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Well...I did it. I had a Steve Urkel moment. For those who aren't familiar with Steve Urkel, he was a character on a TV show and was always doing some dumb thing. His usual response was, Did I do that???

Tonight was the last of the student drama productions for the school year, and I take photos of their plays. All day I couldn't shake the feeling that something wouldn't go well. One setting change I made was to switch from RAW+JPEG FINE to RAW with the second slot as a backup. This was my first time shooting this way so I triple checked the setting. Yes, it was set correctly. I had everything set ahead of time. ISO 2000, Aperture Priority, and the +/- was set for -.7.

I am only allowed to photograph from one of the two balconies--no flash is allowed during their productions. It was odd that none of the spotlights were on when I arrived. In fact I couldn't even locate one student who was running the lights.

When they turned down the house lights to start, the entire auditorium went pitch black. There were no spots on at all. They turned the house lights back up for a few seconds then lowered them again. Still total darkness. Apparently no one was there to run the lights so they decided to dim the house lights but not turn them off completely. They barely had any stage lights on so it was dark up there. :grief:

I wound up raising my ISO--first I set it to 5000 then raised it to 6400. I had to play around with the +/- exposure button a little to compensate. At times I couldn't even focus accurately because it was too dark. I tried to get an AF reading then switched to manual focus, but not all of those turned out sharply. :concern: Then part way through the evening someone turned on one spotlight. :triumphant: Woo-hoo!!! I reset my ISO to 2000 and the +/- button to -.7 and finished out the evening without a hitch...or so I thought.

Once I got home, I loaded the 452 photos onto my computer. Since I shoot RAW and convert to DNG, I began the process of conversion. Huh? :confused: No. Something must be wrong. I did the DNG conversion a second time. :nightmare:

There were only 6 images converted to DNG. The other 400+ images are JPEG NORMAL. Somehow while either changing my ISO or the +/- button, I must have hit the wrong thing and inadvertently switched my RAW+RAW BACKUP to JPEG NORMAL. Sheesh. Why couldn't it at least have been JPEG FINE? :stupid: Since I thought I was shooting RAW, I wasn't too concerned with blowing the highlights a little. :hopelessness: Yeah. Right. Blow the highlights on a JPEG. Fortunately none of the highlights look too bad. :encouragement:

My backup camera is a D90, and I use my 24-70mm lens on it for a few of the shots instead of changing lenses on my D610. The ISO button is not in the same place as it is on my D610, plus when setting the +/- button, the wheel turns in the opposite direction. Somehow I did the wrong thing on my D610. Does anyone know what I might have changed so I can try to avoid doing this again? I have no idea but believe the change was made while trying to either switch my ISO or the +/- button.

Deezey

Sorry to hear this. I did this all the time when I got my D610! Old habits and all that. I finally broke the habit. I just don't use the D90 much anymore....

STM

Homer-Simpson-doh.gif

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I searched all through the user's manual and finally figured out what I did wrong. I must have hit the QUALITY button instead of the ISO button and turned the rear wheel. On the D610, the QUALITY button is located above the ISO button. More importantly, it is located where the ISO button is on the D90. One of the downsides to using 2 different models that don't work exactly alike. :(

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I searched all through the user's manual and finally figured out what I did wrong. I must have hit the QUALITY button instead of the ISO button and turned the rear wheel. On the D610, the QUALITY button is located above the ISO button. More importantly, it is located where the ISO button is on the D90. One of the downsides to using 2 different models that don't work exactly alike. :(

Same with the D7000 and D600 button configuration. These small discrepancies can create major problem if one is not EXTRA careful when using these two bodies at the same event.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Same with the D7000 and D600 button configuration. These small discrepancies can create major problem if one is not EXTRA careful when using these two bodies at the same event.

You are absolutely. And I just checked to see what happens if I do the same thing with my D90--the bottom button under the ISO is also the QUALITY button on the D90 so if I accidentally press that button while rotating the rear wheel, I will also change the file format on that camera, too.

Another thing that wasn't in my favor is that both cameras have the Easy Covers on them. The buttons are covered by the silicone, and although the letters are recessed into the silicone, they aren't white. It was simply too dark to see the button's label. Lesson learned the hard way. ;)